My Overall Impression of Tekken Tag Tournament 2


So yeah I bought Tekken Tag Tournament 2 at discount since I'm pretty much a budget buyer.  Now for the game review.

Now to talk about an introduction of the game, it pretty much is an upgraded version of Tekken Tag Tournament from the PS1 with much better graphics, sound while I do hate having to download characters.  Grrrr.  I was thinking of that I'm glad this game doesn't require you to play through the freaking Scenario Campaign to get the endings.  Tekken 6 was a fun game but that feature made it bad imo.  For this one, I can't blame the producers at Namco for removing Story Mode, Tekken Tag series don't fit the canon at all. And I'm glad you didn't have to play online to get the Fighter Status upgrade.

The character roster itself is almost having all that I want except I wish Devil and Kazuya were separate characters (but it was cool to have Kazuya transform into Devil but that move leaves you so vulnerable).  I was also thinking I'm glad that a powered down Jinpachi is now playable.  On the other hand, why in the world do I need to download Ancient Ogre, Kunimitsu and Michelle Chang?  I haven't done that yet.  For the boss character Unknown, I guess it's only fair she has to be downloaded because she has been bitched up from the last game.  I was thinking that, wow, so to this non-canon game she IS Jun Kazama.  I've finished the game with the regulars and it was mostly fun.

For the Tag Team play, sometimes I think the Tag system of Tekken is a challenge since losing one character makes you lose the whole round and you need to beat only one character from the other to win.  Aside from that, there's the interesting Tag Throw, Tag Combo and Tag Assault.  For Tag Combo, I just wish it were as easy as Mortal Kombat 2011's but yeah, this is Tekken series.  I do like doing Tag Throw and Tag Assault, pretty cool moves.  My disappointment however is that there's no option to go "one vs. one" throughout arcade, instead you can choose to fight against a tag or not.  Hmmm... seldom I wish this one was in Mortal Kombat 2011's tag team mode.

So if you think you're a noob or small fry, don't worry there is the Combot System.  Combot will at least get you oriented on how to play the game.  It's a series of challenges, actually Combot can be sometimes frustrating with some of its ridiculous challenges but it's fun.  It's pretty much a challenge game.  One could actually learn some basic mechanics of the game on how to play if they haven't played any Tekken game in the past.

Now for the endings I do have some minor complaints namely the endings of Christy, Eddie and Combot.  I didn't like how the endings were while I bothered to unlock them, I felt that they weren't really worth the playthrough because of their non-3D, just moving sketches type of ending.  On the other hand Mokujin's stop motion comic ending was fun itself compared to his Tekken 6 ending.  But most of the endings usually still keep the reason why Tekken series has the best endings to any fighting game.  Some of them are funny, the others are pretty serious.  For laughs, I suggest really getting to see Heihachi's ending or Feng's ending... or that of Lili and Asuka.

Overall, this is a must buy even for non-Tekken fans!  A verdict of 9/10!

Comments