What I Feel Like Watching Super Old School Tokusatsu Older Than The 80s!


It's never a matter of old school or new school when it comes to good or bad quality. What's old can be good or bad and what's new can be good or bad. You can't just say that it's old school or new school then you're dismissing it. You can't just say because it's new then it's already good. It's a matter of how something is delivered. Some old school games will inevitably age badly when new school games produce something that will inevitably overshadow the former.

I just had a thought on what it is to actually watch "That 70's Tokusatsu." It's no secret that I'm not having much of a problem with new school Kamen Rider. No matter how bad Heisei Kamen Rider may get (at times) but most of them gave pretty good servings. I usually prefer mostly old school Super Sentai but I usually feel like Goranger up to Sun Vulcan may not be my cup of tea. I usually can't watch super old school Super Sentai to the point that I end up still watching super new school Super Sentai series when given a choice. I'd still watch Kyoryuger over the overly simplistic Battle Fever J. But again, I usually prefer old school from Goggle V up to Gokaiger. But it doesn't mean I won't watch anything new if there's a good story to enjoy. Kamen Rider EX-AID sounds pretty interesting to me. Zyuohger may not be the best but I'm liking the plot.

I'm currently watching Kamen Rider Stronger where I'm forcing myself to stay awake. I couldn't wait for next week during Kamen Rider Gaim's airing. Kamen Riders older than the 80s don't keep me awake for that long. I'd rather watch Kamen Rider Wizard or any Heisei era Rider I didn't find as good as any of their predecessors or successors over 70s Kamen Rider. I still remembered how Kamen Rider Amazon was ridiculous due to the 1970s constraint - you've got the hero ripping apart rubber monsters that bleed paint. While watching a few episodes of the first Kamen Rider there's a lot of special effects that may appeal to 70s viewers but not to younger people in this day and age. Not even all the digital remastery is ever going to help.

I guess the generation gap just gets bigger and bigger but some people can adjust to it. Trying to watch through a lot of films filmed using super obsolete techniques and using super cheap effects (by today's standards) in the past gives me the motivation to still check out more newer stuff in Tokusatsu. It happens even if I usually prefer 80s to last decade Tokusatsu over newer Tokusatsu due to writing purposes. Then again, it's weird that I'm still enthusiastic about what Kamen Rider has to offer every year while I temporarily dropped interest in Super Sentai. Then again, I still feel Super Sentai can still recover if Toei can get their cards right. You can never say innovation is an easy process. But again, watching something that's not the best of new school is better than watching something that's just too old for me.

Comments