I'm Still Remembering The Late 90s With The First Playstation

Looks like Sony isn't going to let Nintendo beat it huh? I thought about how often I fumed over not having a Super NES and ended up almost forgetting about it because of the first Playstation. I remembered how I was told to just forget the Super NES and go for a Playstation 1 or even forget about the Sega Saturn. As the Playstation Classic is coming out -- I just thought about how I had lots of fun and frustration with the very first system! 

So I remembered the days when it was CD gameplay. It had slow loading times yet it was enjoyable in some way. There were some games I could remember like a better, superior version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo than that of the Super NES. It was also that time I wasn't established yet as a Tekken fan -- though Tekken 3 was a fairly enjoyable leap from the first two games. I didn't want to ride on the Tekken bandwagon while I did enjoy it. I just wanted to enjoy Tekken on my own pace.

In spite of the coolness -- there were limitations. I could remember the EX Edition of the Marvel vs. Capcom games. They didn't have the true meaning of tag team play because of memory constraints. I could also remember how downgrading was done to arcade games whenever they were brought home. Mortal Kombat II suffered several SLOW loading times and MK Trilogy did too. No sooner, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 couldn't fit into the first Playstation and ended up more or less a perfect port for the Playstation 2 and X-Box 360 after the Sega Dreamcast crashed into oblivion.

But for all the constraints such as the slow loading times and very limited memory card space -- there are some games that I believe are still worth replaying. No, I'm not going to talk about Tekken 3 as much since I only became rooted into Tekken during Tekken 5 for the next generation system. I could still think about some favorite games that I have had such as the Street Fighter Alpha series, Megaman Legends 1 and 2, Resident Evil 3 (though I used the Gameshark A LOT), Parasite Eve 2 and Harvest Moon: Back to Nature.

For me, this game has some good and bad memories. I remembered using video games as an escapism from reality. I still thought about how the game system was going to die soon. Then came the PS2 which I did enjoy at a much better level. Sadly, some of the PS1 games such as MK Trilogy couldn't work well in the higher systems. Then again, I've just forgotten about MK Trilogy right after Mortal Kombat (2011) proved itself to be best MK game ever!

Comments