The Indian Dessert Known As Soan Papdi

I may be fond of Indian food (especially North Indian vegetarian dishes) though I haven't been too fond of the desserts. Then one dessert caught my attention namely soan papdi. I wanted to taste it because I heard it's got that cotton candy texture and some taste.

Surprisingly, it was good for me. I tried the Indian halo-halo known as falooda and didn't find it too appealing. I'd rather eat the Taiwanese or Filipino version of halo-halo than the Indian version. I tasted gulab janum and it's just okay. Soan papdi had that unusual texture which can be explained by its preparation methods.

Here's a sample preparation of soan papdi. You need chickpea flour, high gluten flour, and lots of sugar (and I'd prefer muscovado sugar). Making the batter and making the caramel can be very difficult. The caramel needs the patience to create it. Then you start mixing the batter with the caramel which requires lots of folding until it breaks into floss-like pieces. Though, the stuff can be industrialized though I hope they can find newer, modern methods that won't compromise the quality done through old school means. That is not putting unnecessary additives while machines may do the more difficult work of preparing the batter and folding the caramel.

Comments