The Irony Naomi Scott Made Me Hesitate Over Power Rangers (2017) But Not Aladdin (2019)


I could remember my rather dumb argument where I didn't want to watch two films based on my childhood because Kimberly and Belle aren't as hot as the original versions. Then the Aladdin (2019) movie came and ironic how a less attractive Princess Jasmine hasn't caused me to really say, "I'm not watching Aladdin (2019) because Jasmine is less attractive here."

While I really felt like Scott is more fitting as Guan Yin in any future Journey to the West adaptations -- I just didn't let much of it get in the way. I still feel Marwan Kenzari is too attractive for Jafar. Heck, I remembered my own wish that Luke Evans will return as Jafar -- though Evans isn't of Middle Eastern descent. I'm not even complaining Will Smith is the Genie. It just made me accept Scott is Jasmine even if I wish she was interacting with Sun Wukong instead of Abu.

The movie had interesting changes such as Jafar was more interested in power than Jasmine. The original film did have some issues like Jafar ended up shifting his attention from power to Jasmine. Remember that scene where he turned Jasmine into his personal slave? Remember when Jafar wanted Princess Jasmine to fall desperately in love with him? One Jafar was consumed by lust (eventually) while this one was more focused on marrying Jasmine to legitimize his planned tyranny. I kind of prefer the power-mad Jafar if you ask me.

So far, so good and I think it's an improvement from two years ago. Then again, my bias towards Beauty and the Beast (2017) sprang because Emma Watson isn't hot enough to be Belle. Other reasons lay with the auto-tuning. Though I admit while I hated the credits version of "A Whole New World" -- at least the version where Naomi Scott sang with Mena Massoud is a decent remake even when I prefer the original one.

Comments