Them 90s Arcade Fighting Games Where The COMPUTER IS SUCH A CHEATING BASTARD

Perhaps one reason why and WHY some old school games do get discontinued for re-release or some don't bother to play them anymore is this -- the COMPUTER IS A CHEATING BASTARD! I remembered the 90s when going to the arcade was still the norm -- something I don't do anymore not ever since the Playstation 2 came in in the 2000s. Now, I'd like to recall these moments that only 90s children may be able to relate -- OR NOT!

I remembered playing the arcade and man most people just get a game over. It's not a quarter eater for nothing. You had to buy tokens and stuff it up. The reason? The arcade games are usually extraordinarily hard. Here are a few examples of how these arcade games had the computer as a cheating bastard:
  • Many moves that required a charge time (such as holding a certain direction or attack button for at least two seconds) can be spammed by the CPU. Can you imagine getting hit by Liu Kang's bicycle kick TWICE IN A ROW WITH MAJOR DAMAGE while you couldn't do it? Can you imagine M. Bison (Vega in Japan) do a Psycho Crusher multiple times effortlessly while you fight him on the CPU? 
  • The CPU itself can read your moves A LOT! Want to throw? You get thrown instead! Want to jump? Prepare for an anti-air attack! 
  • You can also consider bosses are very cheap. Who can remember the likes of M. Bison/General Vega, Heihachi, Shang Tsung, Shao Kahn, Dural, Devil Kazuya just to name a few? These bosses make the whole definition of you must be so good if you defeat the arcade! Fortunately, this is somewhat fixed in later versions.
  • Marvel vs. Capcom series made the bosses that hard. I could remember how frustrated I got whenever Apocalypse (X-Men vs. Street Fighter), Cyber Akuma (Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter), and Onslaught (Marvel vs. Capcom) defeated me in MERE SECONDS!

What made matters worse is that many times -- the controls are FREAKING HARD. I remembered how hard it was to do a fireball or Hadouken in the Street Fighter 2 series. I remembered how there was a very slow response time for inputs in the first two Tekken games. I didn't become fascinated with Tekken until Tekken 3 (which started to fix that problem) though it was Tekken 5 that cemented my status as a Tekken fan

It had me thinking of why I was even glad to "take the game home" even if it wasn't a perfect translation for home consoles. Also, later installments of the games would allow that sweet revenge such as how Mortal Kombat (2011) finally gave me the chance to get even with those bosses that made my childhood a nightmare. This is what I'd call there's always a rough start for innovation, mistakes to fix, and to make it better.

Comments