When Them Sidescrolling Beat-'Em-Up Games Eat Up Your Money At The Arcade

Well, it's time for another nostalgic moment which I'd like to talk about another 1990s moment. As a 90s child -- I admit that there was that time I got into trouble for spending my allowance on them sidescrolling beat-'em-up games at the arcade.

I could think of a couple of sidescrolling beat-'em-up games that I played. I can remember the rather popular X-Men game by Konami (which was pretty cool), Captain America and the Avengers by Data East, Golden Axe, Ultraman Club Tatakae Kyodai by Banpresto, The Simpsons (which I really hate), Aliens vs. Predator, Final Fight, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to name a few. So how lucky are you to get into the final level and even beat the game?

The chances are only a few are lucky enough. I could remember how I was with a group of players who were lucky enough to defeat them together. However, alone, the games are just a nightmare. I could remember how the Avengers game by Data East was so horrendously difficult. The X-Men arcade game had rather ridiculous challenges -- usage of one's mutant powers is severely limited AND you can lose some of your health in the process. Also, who can remember the rather crazy Avalon level where all the bosses (except Pyro and Living Monolith) appear to take you out one more time? Those were the crazy days.

Oh boy, who knew that maybe, just maybe, these machines were purposely difficult so they can suck out all your quarters? I guess Corporate Commander was already calling the shots in the 90s right before he thought of microtransactions huh?

Comments