I Haven't Been Really Updated With Anime These Days

It's no secret that I was into Anime as a teenager. I remembered watching a censored version of Fushigi Yuugi aired on AXN Singapore and GMA-7 (crap-dubbed in Tagalog). However, the more I grew, the more I got estranged from Anime. I didn't really want to admit it but Anime is something I'm probably estranged from for some time. So really... what happened?

I would probably "blame" it on other stuff. I could remember the time I break from Tokusatsu during my college days. I was checking some Chinese and Taiwanese TV shows. I knew Meteor Garden was based on the Anime/Manga called Hana Yori Dango. I did watch the Anime and the TV series. Then I was introduced to the world of Wuxia with A Chinese Ghost Story and some action Chinese films. It really started to make me think of what live-action can do that Anime can't do.

I did watch Wuxia-type Anime (Three Kingdoms) before I got into watching live Wuxia. It was because there were subs and dubs back then. Then I started watching actual Wuxia and not Anime based on Wuxia. Sure, there are plenty of good drawings and movements but live-action is still more impressive to me. It's because we're seeing live people risking their asses to make a good action scene. That was really the beginning of me finding Anime not to be that entertaining anymore.

Then I could talk about Anime vs. the live-action adaptation and localization. Adaptations are not necessarily localizations. However, localization is a form of adaptation when it comes to business terms. I think the live-action give more emotions than what Anime could do. Sure, Anime can have exaggerated emotions but I think I'd love to have a little more realism.

Not to mention, real-life issues. Leisure money is really rare once you think about it. There's also Netflix which offers a lot of shows. Granted, I really got into the Chinese, Taiwanese, and Korean TV drama craze - it's not just Toku that's affected. Anime is just as affected to as far as my personal preferences are concerned. Yet, I don't want to deny Manga and Anime still play a huge part in inspiring Chinese, Taiwanese, and Korean TV drama, right?

Comments