Thinking About Some PS2 Games That I Can't Let Go Of In This Day And Age

The PS2 is really dead for some time now, isn't it? Yet who can't forget it was a stepping stone of a technological marvel and it turned 20 yesterday? I was nearly finishing college when I had it. What really made me think of the PS2 was that there were games that I wish will get re-released and remastered or make them available for digital download.

While some PS2 games aren't worth playing anymore IMHO (such as Mortal Kombat Deception) but I'd list some of those that I really did enjoy in no particular order:
  • Tekken 5 - the first Tekken game that actually got me hooked. I wasn't really a fan of Tekken at first due to the stiffer controls during the PS1 era, the rather rough transition with the third game, fourth game had balance issues, but this game is near-perfection. 
  • Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks - Just forget about the AWFUL game Mortal Kombat Mythologies - Sub Zero because this game is the real deal. It seems to be a retcon of the events of the second Mortal Kombat game since a lot of its events contradict the original story. It was fun going for this adventure game though I didn't care about the unlockables as a Liu Kang fanboy.
  • Romance of the Three Kingdoms X - Playing through history is really fun. The game had a very elementary approach in building one's empire and uniting China. It was also fun becoming your own character and trying to unlock some cutscenes.
  • Megaman Anniversary Collection - Saying goodbye to the NES wasn't very easy. I admit that this game really allowed me to play through other Megaman games that I never played such as the second game. What's nice is that there's also an easy mode which allows you to take revenge on the games that haunted you back with the very high damage points you got from enemies. Too bad this wasn't remastered for the PS4!
  • Megaman X Anniversary Collection - I admit that this was how I was able to play the first three games because I never had a Super NES. It was fun catching up with childhood with this game.
  • Harvest Moon Innocent Life - A game that has a robot try and save Hope Island. For me, this Harvest Moon game was actually fun with its folklore.
  • Dragon Quest VIII - The first Dragon Quest game that I have finished. I didn't like the seventh game for the first Playstation. This one was quite easy to follow even if there are hard times. A perfect blend of hardness and ease.
  • Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi series - There's three of them and they all have their charm. In my case, I was pretty much a Vegeta player myself!
  • Capcom vs. SNK series - This was before Capcom actually started to suck. The games allowed a dream match. I think the second game was a huge improvement from the first.
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance - This game was actually better than the second for me. It's a spinoff where the Avengers must tackle Dr. Doom's deadly alliance. 
  • X-Men Legends 2 - The first game was pretty much a remake of the X-Men arcade game by Konami. This game actually features a spinoff plot where Apocalypse seeks to achieve power by using "The Four" to achieve harmonic DNA. 
  • Megaman X8 - The seventh Megaman X game is horrid - no questions asked. However, this game outdid its predecessor by introducing better mechanics in the midst of rather ridiculous stage designs similar to the sixth entry of the franchise.

What about you? What games can't you let go of?

Comments