Why Microtransactions Overload Could Kill Modern Gaming In The Long Run

 

I'm a casual gamer and I don't deny it. I still think about how I actually enjoyed how the seventh-generation console gameplay for many reasons. The death of cheat devices and introducing the trophy system. That means you CANNOT cheat at all to achieve stuff like paying Ludger's ridiculous loan in Tales of Xillia 2 or in finishing off the hardest difficulty in Mortal Kombat (2011). However, I was thinking about how paid microtransactions started. Yup, from mobile gaming (which I quit because of that) up to console gaming. Then, I think about how I probably regret buying Mortal Kombat 11 (though I seldom play it - I'm NEVER getting Aftermath in protest to what they did to Sindel) just to play as a balanced Shao Kahn for free. I mean, there was Mortal Kombat XL which was the compensation package because the previous game wasn't released for the seventh-generation and GOT CANCELED. Yes, at least, Netherrealm was so good to return the money and told the gamers to save up for the compensation.

Then I think about not just MK11 but also Tekken 7 - a game plagued with microtransactions. Yes, I bought the game, I was excited about it but my hype as a Tekken fan died out when I found out the game was problematic. Sure, it had butter-smooth gameplay BUT the game treated players like they were babies (too accessible) or how you had to pay for additional characters who get NO ENDINGS. Not that I'm going to let MK11 off the hook either considering that I had to pay to play other characters. I just decided that buying them all wasn't going to be worth it - I'd rather be a savings addict and enjoy that money with food and travel! I bought the disk so why am I paying for ADDITIONAL CONTENT? That really had me thinking that Tekken 7 even provides me very little incentive to get the game. Hmmm... I guess the once-mighty Namco has been taken over by the Corporate Commander too, huh? 

I don't mind the pay to play online. However, I think PS Plus or other similar platforms make it a prepaid thing and you end up wasting it if you're a casual player. However, I hate to think about paying for new characters, new content, or that ridiculous SEASON PASS. The whole microtransaction overload has caused me to like older games that didn't have that much. Compare how I end up MK (2011) is better than its successors for not having that much microtransactions. Angry Joe even called it "it's very on your face" making you purchase the guest characters. I even found it WTF as to why MKX even made us pay for Tanya and Bo Rai Cho when they were in the STORY MODE. MK11 even made us pay for Shao Kahn while Frost was unlockable the normal way. That's why I even fear more and more about introducing children to the world of gaming due to all the microtransactions parents will end up paying.

I really think laws against excessive microtransactions need to be made ILLEGAL. Yes, I'm okay with a few microtransactions but an overload can kill modern gaming. Working people use their salaries not just for games but also to PAY BILLS. Some people are saving addicts. Gaming should be treated as casual as much as possible. Sadly, gaming has become more commercialized which in turn can destroy the gaming capitalist spirit. 

Comments