Strange Oddity: Toys Based On R-18 Movie Franchises


If having toys based on the very adult Mortal Kombat franchise was just weird then consider the Aliens vs. Predator franchise also had toys. I could remember a trip to Nova Fontana (before it got closed down) or to the SM Toystore. Wait, wut? You've got toys based on an adult franchise? This was really something when I considered how the Aliens movie was rated R-18 yet why are there toys based on the franchise? 

It makes me think of how the existence of the toys made me think the movie was for children. Yes, I was a 90s child and I remembered watching the Aliens movie. Ugh. I was in for a surprise, really, like when I saw Conan the Barbarian back in the day. The movie franchise themselves were for adults but why in the world are there toys for children? The franchise was for ADULTS. I wonder what in the world was Kenner even thinking with that?! I heard there was a planned toned-down version of Aliens vs. Predator coming up but was that even a good idea?

There was also the Spawn toy commercial. The movie was rated PG-13 though an R-Rated director's cut was released. I remembered going to the toy store with relatives and the toys were all over there. I thought Spawn was just another child's franchise. Instead, it was a really violent franchise. Who can remember the short-lived Spawn TV series on HBO? I do find it funny HBO has a lot of censorship yet they also had this violent cartoon. So why are there toys for children based on Spawn? You really have to wonder unless a Spawn toned-down series was in the works.

This of course is JUST FUNNY. So I did play Mortal Kombat in the arcades as a child. Isn't there any reasonable censorship in the arcades or video game rentals like not allowing children to play it? Yet, I played the game when I was around nine to ten years old. It's funny how these centers aren't allowed to have students in them during SCHOOL HOURS but why are children allowed to play it outside school hours? I do still find it funny that a toy line and a lackluster movie Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins was even created. The PG-13 movie though did manage to influence later gaming decisions such as how Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa's catchphrase got integrated into the reboot. No surprise really that Robocop is a guest star in Mortal Kombat 11. Robocop also had a toyline because it later got toned-down treatment with an animated series and a live-action TV series that aired a year after Tokosou Janperson (which was also partly based on Robocop) ended. 

__________

If you're a 90s child then what other toy oddities do you remember regarding these?

Comments