Throwback Thursday: When Cartoon Network Philippines Aired Christmas And New Year Marathons


Cartoon Network served as part of my childhood. Yup, that's until I had to face off against a Cartoon Network obsessed idiot who made me nearly hate it. Part of my childhood was brainlessly crying to escape reality with Cartoon Network. Two of those moments involve me watching Cartoon Network Christmas and New Year marathons as part of the celebration. It was a time to chill out before December 26-29 was devoted to STUDYING for incoming examinations. December 30-January 1 was yet another break from studying. 

In the 90s, there was Cartoon Network and there were Turner Classic Movies back when it was still known as TNT. Both shared the same channel. TNT came before Adult Swim. I really could remember some of the Christmas specials were mostly by Hanna Barbera. There were a couple of new year specials too which I could remember but maybe not so fondly. Back then, I didn't like Cartoon Network that much because most of the cool cartoons were on channels like ABS-CBN and GMA-7. Cartoons like X-Men: The Animated Series and Batman: The Animated Series weren't shown in Cartoon Network Philippines during my earlier years. Most of the cartoons showed were Hanna Barbera ones which consist of a list of old shames. 

What movies do I remember? Well, there are some like Yogi's First Christmas, The Town Santa Forgot, The Little Troll Prince, Casper's First Christmas, Top Cat and the Beverly Hills Cats, and The Man Called Flintstone which was but a few of those specials. Do I really want to watch them again? I admit I only watched Top Cat without knowing its context. Also, there was also the now-defunct i-Channel available on ABS-CBN's Sky Cable which also aired more cooler cartoons like Spider-Man (90s version) and The Marvel Action Hour. So, I even wonder why am I even watching those? 

I found myself distanced from this memory may be because of me not getting any younger. Ironic that I would still be watching some shows from my childhood. Others are old shames for me - especially those American adaptations based on Japanese shows such as Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (MMPR) and Lion Voltron. I do feel like recalling the inner child in me even if there are old shames. Who doesn't have old shames to deal with anyway? I think the Cartoon Network marathon movies are among this list of old shames I can recall.

Comments