The Dawn Of English Subtitles For Non-English Shows And Some Effects It Has On Its Viewers

If there's any reason why something gets underappreciated - it's the language barrier. It's pretty much how Super Sentai (or any non-English media) can get underappreciated until English subtitles came. The dawn of subtitles really has an effect on people. It gives a new room to appreciate something new or old. Right now, there are legit ways to get subtitled non-English shows such as Netflix, legit DVDs, and the like. So, how did the dawn of subtitles finally affect English-speaking people who enjoy watching shows in a language that they can't understand? 

Some people now prefer subs instead of dubs

Back then, I can't forget how I watched Toku dubbed in Tagalog or other non-English shows dubbed in Tagalog. Who can remember the Telesuccess Productions' English dubs such as the Bioman dub? Watching the shows in their original Japanese with English subtitles made me see a lot of translation errors. For instance, Voltes V episode 28 was actually titled "Our Father! Kentaro Gou's secret!" or how much plot in Bioman was lost in translation. It's like how Bioman episode 19-20 actually had Ryuta Nanbara as THE BULLY and not the one who was bullied. Big difference. TBH, I can't get over how I think those dubs are so lifeless and robotic now. Is it me or is Suzette Doctolero also fond of inserting unnecessary jargon into the dubs? I really don't want to imagine GMA-7 dubbing either Kamen Rider Drive or Kyuranger. I don't want to see and hear Lucky from Kyuranger saying "Ang swerte ko!" (I'm so lucky) voiced by Dennis Trillo. The dubs done by GMA-7 are just that atrocious. ABiaS-CBN isn't exempted from it too. I can't get over how both networks are really just doing as much of a bad job as the other. 

You have the group who's willing to read subs but not learn the language

I could imagine a fan of Power Rangers fan checks out Super Sentai with subs, likes the show, understands it but says, "Nah! I'm not willing to learn Japanese." There are some valid reasons such as work constraints or is interested in another foreign language. Maybe, the American guy watching Japanese Toku with subs is too busy at work or is learning another language. It's like trying to learn Nihonggo and Korean at the same time can be a chore. I really tend to be in this group of people who are willing to read subs but not learn another language. I think I've gotten so accustomed to reading subs. Then again I'm not strong with languages. I can get better but it won't be my expertise.

You've got people willing to learn a new language

There are times I want to learn a new language and not willing to learn it. It's like how I'm willing to learn Mandarin but not Nihonggo or Hangul. I knew some people who wanted to learn Nihonggo because they love Japanese shows. In my case, I wanted to learn more Mandarin (something I neglected) because of Meteor Garden

Comments