The Hunt For Turbo Man


Jingle All the Way can be a film that some 1990s children can relate. I could remember how I became a misfit because some of my peers had this and that. I remembered wanting a Super NES to "fit in" though it was already getting obsolete real fast. The film actually had the peer pressure when Howard and Myron got into the misadventure to get the hottest toy that sold too fast. I still can't help but find the film more annoying than funny at times. I mean, why should parents really bend to their children who are asking for toys to fit in with the "cool kids" who will just cry when what they have ain't so hot anymore, right? That would be the Turbo Man and the two got into serious trouble that should've locked them down. In real life, both of them would be arrested for their shenanigans. I bet Myron's son would be too disappointed if he ever found out the length of stupidity to get that doll.

I was wondering if the whole thing about Turbo Man was a parody on how Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers became too big a hit. Toei Ltd. and Saban Entertainment joined forces to create the monster hit which I believe is being milked too much. The line to buy the toys were THAT LONG. Turbo Man and Booster may have also represented one thing - the popular ranger and Billy. For one, Billy was my first favorite character in Mighty Morphin' and I got ostracized for it. I ended up liking Tommy better but only because of his official relationship (which was written off for stupid reasons) with Kimberly the show chick. Though, I felt Billy was someone I aspired to be. Just a note - Billy became another reason why my favorite GoGoFive member is Nagare the scientist. Nagare is pretty much the inventive guy of GoGoFive

Decades later, I find it funny that Funko decided to create the limited edition Turbo Man toy. I always wanted to try and experience hunting the toy FOR MYSELF. It was a Walmart exclusive and people experienced what Howard got when he asked for a Turbo Man. I wonder what was the purpose of making that limited toy? Did Funko want the children who grew up to experience the movie? Though it wouldn't be complete if they didn't get a group of Santa Claus mascots. I mean, I'd actually really want to go hunt for a Turbo Man, have a couple of men dress up as Santa Claus (though not bootleggers), and they'd sell me over a Funko Pop doll of Turbo Man instead of the action figure from the movie. I even feel like I want to get the Funko Pop doll of Howard as Turbo Man for laughs.

Besides, I could remember my stupid fantasy of making a game based on the movie. TBH, I wanted to be a game designer but too bad my math skills aren't that good. I barely passed programming classes too. I want to have a paid downloadable game based on the movie. Howard will be the main character and he'd be on the hunt for the Turbo Man toy. Bosses might include salesmen, the sleazy con men, and eventually Sinbad as Dementor. It would be nice to at least try and relive the stupidity of the film to get the inner child out.

What I would want though is if the Turbo Man action figure had Arnold's voice too. It'd be fun to also release an action figure of Myron as Dementor than just a Funko doll. For one, I felt Myron as Dementor was really funny. Sinbad the actor really knew how to ham it up to the max. I'd probably be willing to get a reasonable price for both action figures if both Turbo Man and Dementor had Arnold and Sinbad faces with them. Though, I doubt that will happen. If it does then I may have lost interest to buy the toys for the sake of laughs. 

Now, I'm pretty much wanting to relive this memory. I think about how not having the cool stuff others have isn't the end of the world. It's more important to save money for a rainy day than have all the cool stuff. Besides, I think about how I'm thankful we never had a Sega system. I ended up playing a Sega collection on the Playstation 2 in college. I heard the Dreamcast sucked so much that the Playstation 2 got more sales. Though, I'm still upset that Capcom didn't make an arcade perfect port of Marvel vs. Capcom for the Playstation 2 and XBox 360. The Turbo Man is something that could be compared to that. I might want to get the Jingle All the Way Funko Pop dolls but I'm now becoming a savings-investment addict to a certain extent. 

Comments