Why I Felt The Sixth To Seventh Generation Playstation Consoles Were The "Best Eras"

I simply started to run out of ideas to write here since this is just my personal space. I decided to think about why I'm not a bit insecure that I don't have a PS5. Sure, I could afford it but just because I could afford it doesn't mean that I should buy it. I was thinking about two consoles that I had before namely the Playstation 2 (PS2) and the Playstation 3. I felt those were the best systems IMHO. I remembered the first Playstation system which we had (and now no longer operational). Then, I remembered we got a PS2 which I enjoyed for some time. I just feel the dread that one day it would clunk out but not like the Family Computer system which easily broke.

The PS2 was pretty much a big trip

I could remember how the PS2 era was a huge leap from the PS1. I remembered how I wasn't exactly fond of Tekken (at first) until the PS2 era came. I remembered how Tekken 3 is fondly remembered though the first Tekken game may have aged rather badly. I still feel it took Tekken 2 to really launch the game to where it is today. Tekken 5 was pretty much when I got solidified into Tekken though I'm not so happy with Tekken 7 and I'm not so happy with Mortal Kombat 11 either.

I remembered the slow loading times of the PS1. The PS2 had really good loading times all thanks to the DVD technology. Until now, it's still amazing how the PS2 loads and there were compilation disks. One of them was the Megaman compilation games both from the Classic series and the X series. It was then I was able to play some of the games I missed as a kid AND the first three X games because we never had a Super NES back then. I felt some satisfaction playing the first three X games though I have a negative assessment of the third game as "bloated" compared to the first two games. I still think being able to play Megaman X6 with a faster loading speed was really good. I didn't have to dig up that old Famicom (which is most likely INOPERATIONAL now) to play the Classic Megaman games.

The faster downloading times were a much welcome treat. Though I was still upset I couldn't play Mortal Kombat Trilogy back then until I see it as not worth visiting anymore. I also played Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks which was a big adventure game. I couldn't help but want to get revenge on Mortal Kombat II though I don't play the classics anymore either. I did play Mortal Kombat Deception though I don't want to play it anymore either. It can burn in the Netherrealm for all I care.

I think one differentiation was that I was able to "own" a Super NES through the SNES Station (a fan compilation). It's not a legitimate game though so sorry. I could think about how I was able to play Super Mario World which was more or less close to the Super NES version in contrast to what Hummer Team did to my childhood with that abominable bootleg. I was able to play through a couple of games though I didn't bother to finish them. By then, my gaming vibes were getting narrower.

How I felt the PS3 was perhaps the best era

The disappearance of cheat codes was one thing. I remembered the joy I had playing Resident Evil 3 with a Gameshark to have infinite ammo, infinite health, and PUNISH THE NEMESIS. I think those games were made harder back then so cheat devices will sell. Not so anymore especially with how Tales of Xillia 2 had that loan challenge. No cheat device so GOOD LUCK paying back that loan. What truly made it stand out as being able to pay that loan without cheating. I could always be fond of it though it also got me out of the league with my personal work.

The other thing was the near-disappearance of cheat codes. I could remember the sixth generation games that I played such as Capcom vs. SNK 2 where a cheat menu was there. There was the cheat for INFINITE SUPER METER. However, lacking these cheats made me rethink my strategies. For instance, playing Super Street Fighter IV without the cheat codes makes me rethink when to launch a Super Combo or the Ultra Combo (which is similar to the SNK danger move). It was time to rethink how ot fight. I couldn't just spam super moves like I used to. It was a completely different experience to learn to play at a competitive level even if I don't want to join in tournaments.

I think the next amazing thing was how smoothened things can get. Okay, I'll be having some bad opinion from tournament players. However, I'll confess that I enjoyed Mortal Kombat 9's tag team mode and Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Both games have their broken sides such as how Mortal Kombat 9 players prefer 1 vs. 1 against 2 vs. 2. I still think that Mortal Kombat and Tekken managed to "perfect" their games in this era except for Mortal Kombat vs. DC. I still think the reboot Mortal Kombat 9 is the best entry of the reboot franchise even if the next two were good in their own way. Though, I'm regretting why I even pre-ordered Mortal Kombat 11. I think most of the games were pretty smooth.

Some might talk about microtransactions. I felt most games didn't have them too much. I could understand how one must now play to play online due to the cost of servers. The PS3 era didn't have too many microtransactions except for cosmetic purposes. I still felt that Mortal Kombat 9 not making the purchases too obvious was better than what the next two games did. Microtransactions are becoming too heavy these days. Back then, they weren't so heavy either. Games were more reliant on competitive quality than paid microtransactions.

______

Right now, I feel gaming is getting too commercialized. I also feel that the whole daily challenges and online heavy requirement are another. People have their work to do. Gaming should be a time to relax. Instead, I feel gaming these days is gnawing into jobs which is why I'm a casual gamer. 

Comments