Them Hacked Famicom Cartridges During The 1990s

I remembered back when I was a kid - it was when we had NO IDEA that some cartridges were hacked. In fact, there were many Super Mario hacks out there such as a hack of M.C. Kids using Mario, and an Armadillo hack using Mario, and I can't precisely name all of them. There was also the 190 in 1 cartridge which was such a mess but I played through some games like Moai Kun and Dino Riki (erroneously titled Super Man). There were hacked versions of Dino Riki which made the character stronger every time he took a hit. WTF... then there could be this one...


I remembered when I got a Super Mario Bros. 3 cartridge on my birthday. It was later worn out so we bought another one. One of the features that this game had was the ability to SELECT ALL POWER-UPS so easily by pressing B on the world map and pressing select. It was a fun thing (at first) until I realized the joy of defeating the game WITHOUT IT in Super Mario All-Stars where Super Mario Bros. 3 had a 16-bit remake. Yes, it was the beginning of me wondering why it never existed. It turns out that it was a PIRATED NES HACK.

Later, I got into some of the hacked Rockman (Megaman) cartridges. Two of these games that had a hack were Rockman 3 and Rockman 6 (which was hacked as Rockman 7). The games made you refill your life by pressing Select or Up + Select - a feature that made it too easy eventually. It was fun while it lasted but it was more satisfying beating the games without them in the Megaman Anniversary Collection (though I tend to use Easy Mode) or in the Megaman Legacy Collection

Eventually, we no longer had a Famicom. We ended up having the first Playstation (which is sadly broken now). I decided to use Gameshark in some of the games to get even such as how unlimited cash made things easier. I wonder who in the world made these hacked cartridges? Was it JY Company that made that abominable pirate of Super Mario World? Was it some other hidden company? Regardless, these cartridges were sold in department stores instead of what's commonly called "tabi-tabi" by Filipinos. In fact, there were even receipts along with them too. 

Hmmmm... ever had memories of these? 

Comments