What I Never Noticed: The Return Of Toys R Us American Retail Stores In 2023

One event that happened was that Toys R Us closed and filed for bankruptcy last 2017. However, it was still operating in Asian countries even after that. I could still remember entering a Philippine branch of Toys R Us for the heck of it! Man, I never noticed that the American branches have reopened this year!

I wrote this post because of the latest Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger episode. Toys R Us still operated in Asia while the American branches closed down. The American branches re-opened in 2023. The character of Geoffrey the Giraffe was invited by Princess Himeno to the Kingdom of Ishabana. I even speculate that there's probably some celebration by Toei. It's been 30 years since Toei entered the American market. Why this sudden placement of Geoffrey giving away the stuffed toys? I wouldn't be surprised if gift certificates were handed over to the cast members. I guess there's a deleted scene of giving away gift certificates to the people of Ishabana.

Anybody who's tried watching The Toys That Made Us on Netflix may notice a familiar scene. A scene at Toys R Us is featured in the episode about Power Rangers. The presence of Toei staff members makes me think of how Bandai, Toei, and Saban never anticipated the massive demand that they'd have to fill. Did Toei ever forget how Himitsu Sentai Goranger was a success or the massive toy sales they had in the Asian market? Did Saban forget about how X-Men: The Animated Series became a huge hit when he had a Marvel license back then? I could say that Bandai, Toei, and Saban do owe Toys R Us their success in the American market.

I guess the re-opening in America had that perfect timing. Maybe, I could say that the Power Rangers brand gave Toys R Us bigger revenues. The 30th anniversary of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers was last August 2023. I guess Toei wanted to mark one of its biggest achievements. I guess Toys R Us wanted to celebrate with Toei and asked for a product placement. Maybe, Toei gave an invitation to Tos R Us. I can't be sure of what happened and I can only speculate. 

Comments