RIP James Earl Jones

Several people from my childhood are now GONE. I never knew how great the recently deceased James Earl Jones was back then. I remember him as Mufasa in The Lion King. He was also the voice of Darth Vader -- because the late David Prowse sounded too goofy! I wasn't a movie fan so I didn't know all his other projects.

However, I feel that JEJ's best role was probably Movie Thulsa from Conan the Barbarian (1982). Sure, the movie was for adults. However, it was tolerable since it didn't contain over-the-top gore just for the sake of it. The plot was written with an adult audience in mind. JEJ made the cult leader sound persuasive. Movie Thulsa was the head of the Snake Cult -- a cult determined to capture the world for the serpent god Set. Those were the best moments. I remembered every dialogue he made. The commanding presence of JEJ in the films is hard to replicate. 

Overall, thanks for the memories JEJ! 


Comments