American Kiddie Shows and Death Plots

While I can understand that American TV can tone down the violence like prohibiting scenes like Lucas killing Alex in Time Force in contrast to Timeranger but what bothers me is the later part where American TV shows tend to have too many stupid rules about death scenes in American kiddie shows.  Here's one example...


Yup here's probably the BIGGEST and I mean biggest controversy on American children cartoons.  In Transformers: The Movie, a lot of children really cried over the death of Optimus Prime on the big screen causing parents to complain.  For me, it wasn't a jump the shark move- Optimus Prime died a badass death.  What I thought of the death scene was this- it's very typical for heroic figures to die in battle than their natural deaths in the real life.  So it pretty much changed the ending of G.I.Joe the Movie where Duke who was supposedly dead was later stuck in a coma after being impaled by Serpentor.  Then again, that scene where Serpentor threw a POISONOUS snake at Duke should have killed him in real life.


Well I really had my thoughts between MMPR and Zyuranger.  Maybe as a kid I could handle the death of Burai like I did with Optimus Prime BUT America does have its issues.  In fact, I guess they just can't let Tommy die in MMPR instead they softened down his departure with the green candle.  Well it's not that I think killing off everyone is the best way to write them off but sometimes we do need death scenes.  In B-Fighter we have the first Reddle sent to America rather than die a death scene.  In Power Rangers, fortunately they have learned to use some character deaths like villains deaths because that kind of restriction REALLY killed quality in the franchise.


The notoriety might be with Golion's adaptation Lion Voltron and later Dairugger XV's adaptation as Vehicle Voltron where a LOT of scenes are pretty questionable when it comes to dismissing a death plot.  In fact a LOT of scenes in both Voltron series (by the way Golion is NOT canon to Dairugger XV), were obvious that they had died like some guest characters are obvious to have died but the adaptation lets them live even if it's too obvious they're too battered.  For one, the stupid censorship law prevented Vehicle Voltron from killing Zarkon- I mean they can delete him getting ripped apart and then boom, he's dead or two clip down some of the scenes where Lotor kills Hagar or make her dead via being buried by a boulder then three, Lotor also dies.  But heck, all that ruined Lion Voltron.  Same went with Vehicle Voltron too.

Comments