My Rollercoaster Preferences Between South Korean And Japanese Stuff


I remembered in my high school years that I enjoyed several Japanese food stuff like soba, sushi and tonkatsu ramen. Then it happened -- the South Korean craze hit Asia! South Korean restaurants popped and I was hesitant to taste them but my love for spicy food kicked in. I soon enjoyed much of South Korean food but I wasn't too willing to watch South Korean entertainment -- at first! Though I soon started watching Spring Waltz for some dumb reason namely Han Hyo Joo. It didn't help matters that I wasn't too accepting of the changes that Toei made with Tokusatsu in the early 2000s or I was just pursuing other new school stuff.

Then I thought about the mixed bag that I have for both words. I watch K-Drama but I don't really like the soundtrack because I don't like K-Pop. I prefer Japanese music over Korean music all the while I tend to like Korean drama over Japanese drama. It's as weird as me preferring mostly old school Super Sentai (at a personal level) while liking new school Kamen Rider better. I don't think highly of Japanese food these days in contrast to Korean food. I prefer kimbap over sushi. I prefer Korean barbecue over Japanese barbecue. Then I end up wanting some tonkatsu ramen over Korean beef soups. The preference is a cycle and there are times I end up missing J-Drama after I've got an overdose of K-Drama.

It always had me think also of why I tend to prefer Korean better in some way is due to the "maturity approach". A look at Suzy vs. Maaya in their commercial ads can say a lot. Suzy has the more mature image while I dunno why Maaya is still given that cutey image. Suzy tends to take more mature roles while Maaya tends to get stuck doing seiyuu roles. I could still enjoy newer Super Sentai (if said series has the appeal towards me like how Go-Busters, Kyuranger and last year's Lupinranger vs. Patranger are all good IMHO) though I'd take a break from it every now and then for new school K-Drama. Heck, I even temporarily stopped watching Kamen Rider Zi-O because I wanted to check out more K-Drama for the meantime then caught up on it later.

It's really a rollercoaster ride but a fun one. I really just do and enjoy the best of both and reject the worst of both. It's just like I won't go that far with the stupidity of both culture which I won't discuss much. Every culture has its ups and downs, right?

Comments