Some Classic Games That Were Given More Fame During Their Second Releases

The first isn't always better. Sometimes, the second is better. The same can be said about video games. So what games were actually made better during their second entry than their first entry? I would like to share some of these games that got more focus upon the second game than the first game.

Megaman 2 

The first Megaman game was a success but it was the second that gave the basic framework. Two more robot masters, more gameplay mechanics, and no wonder it's beloved in the fanbase. For me, this still continues to be the most unforgiving Megaman game for the NES era. What would be so amazing is that the game somewhat standardized both Megaman and Megaman X. The game does suffer from drawbacks like you need that PIXEL PERFECT timing (and Megaman X2 had that too) which was so argh to me. I did finish the game but I really find it overrated. You like the game? No problem but don't shove it down my throat, okay?


Street Fighter II series

The first Street Fighter game is hardly heard of. I even wonder how did the Street Fighter series even get started with THAT GAME of all games? I saw the gameplay that's not an old school game I'd like to play. Then the Street Fighter II series came. The first game had four unplayable characters which were made playable in later versions. The II series got so popular you even had Super Street Fighter followed up by Turbo. I guess the popularity even allowed it to give the Street Fighter IV series its evolved mechanic version of Street Fighter II. Once you think about it - Street Fighter IV brought in some video game lies and made them real such as Gouken (who was a result of the Sheng Long rumor) and Seth (who was said to be that character who had the moves of every character). For me, I don't find myself replaying this one due to heavy balance issues. So far, I prefer to replay the Street Fighter Alpha series more than the Street Fighter II series.


Mortal Kombat II

The first game was just a basic introduction - seven characters, one fatality per character, no combos and it was just a basic game. Now, it's time to consider the most overrated entry of the first three entries of the Mortal Kombat series namely the second installment. The first game tends to get overshadowed (though ironic how Goro is more popular than Kintaro) in favor of this one. Shang Tsung ends up getting depowered in some way. You can consider how this game is the real launcher for the Mortal Kombat series. Not to mention, some decisions in later gaming depended on the hype such as the launching of the Shaolin Monks adventure spin-off or some stuff in Mortal Kombat (2011). I still find myself playing this game a few times though as said - I haven't played any of the classic fighting game entries of the series EVER.

Megaman X2

The first Megaman X game was a surefire hit, wasn't it? But I think the fun didn't really start until the second game. the gameplay really started to challenge players. But like Megaman 2 - I think this game is kind of unforgiving especially in your quest to rescue Zero. Some stages require you to be VERY PIXEL PERFECT like getting the heart tank in Wheel Gator's stage. The game itself gave in more mechanics than the first one. I could think of the reviews back then but as said - I usually just cheese my way through by using the complete equipment cheat and beat the bosses. I think Megaman X4 is the perfection of the formula of the first six Megaman X games.

Virtua Fighter 2

Before Tekken there was Virtua Fighter. So saying Sarah is a clone of Nina is just wrong. Virtua Fighter started the idea but it was Tekken that improved it. Both games were competing at the arcades though I still find the game series anemic regardless of improvements. Still, nobody can deny that this franchise had a better release during the second game.

Tekken 2

I wasn't always a Tekken fan. The first game was THAT infuriatingly hard with hard to input combos. Tekken 2 though started fixing a lot of problems the first game had. The home version didn't give individual endings to unlockables. The second game did just that. Although I still think the game isn't really much worth playing now - I don't want to deny that this game is still a fan favorite. Though, I'd prefer having a classic brawl with Tekken Tag Tournament, Tekken 5, Tekken 6, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 with peers. 

Resident Evil 2

The first Resident Evil started it all but the game is ridiculed for the bad English voice acting. The first game built almost everything the game needed but the second game expanded the exploration. You can consider EVERYTHING with exploration. The first game was stuck in the mansion grounds. The second game gave a wider environment to explore. Okay, I admit I simply used Gameshark to finish any survival horror games. Right now, I just SUCK at them big time! The only survival horror game I got pass through without cheating back then is Parasite Eve 2

X-Men Mutant Academy 2 

Personally, I HATED the first X-Men Mutant Academy game. But this one really corrected a LOT and I mean a LOT of mistakes that the first game did. The gameplay was even more balanced, easier controls, and it just couldn't take off the new gameplay. The gameplay did follow Street Fighter Alpha and Alpha 2's approach where your final opponent depended on which character you used. Also, the ending cinematics was WAY BETTER than the first. I would really still pick this game up for the first. 

Megaman Legends 2

The first Megaman Legends game was a hit. This one did established the formula. I wonder why in the world did Capcom decide to just cancel the Megaman Legends series without concluding it? The game itself improved almost everything from the first game - nearly making it its own separate continuity from the main Megaman series. A third game could've been made during the early 2000s for the PS2, X-Box, and Gamecube. Until now, I'm still fixated to why a third installment was never made!

_____

What other games would you think were the second time's the charm?

Comments