It's The First Playstation's 25th Birthday And Them Good (And Bad) Times


I remembered the time when the Playstation was probably just as coveted - if not the msot coveted system ever. It was also that time Sega was still producing consoles before it decided to focus on the video game market. The rival was known as the Sega Saturn which ended in failure. So, I thought about how this system had all the good and bad times associated with it.

There were some cool games back then. Who can remember some of the best like Crash Bandicoot or the Tekken series? People were able to bring home the arcades through the Playstation but not everything was arcade perfect. There were also slow loading times like playing MK Trilogy had very laggy moments (ex. Shang Tsung morphing) or how often the game takes too long to load. Those were the fun and frustrating times of the first Playstation. Who can remember resetting the system if the load times were SO SLOW?

I could also remember the days when I cheated your way through some games. I usually used Gameshark during the survival horror days. It was the time online gaming wasn't much of a fad. Today, cheat devices would no longer be feasible due to competitive-based gameplay. My favorite thing to do was to use Gameshark to get unlimited bullets and kill through monsters. Resident Evil 3 was perhaps my favorite game to cheat on considering how difficult those games were. I also used Gameshark to finish Harvest Moon: Back to Nature.

Some of the games I played were still in Japanese. I didn't really care if I couldn't read or understand it. I only cared about having fun until I started watching more subtitled in English Japanese shows. Having translations can help make things a bit better. It's like I'd say that I'd never watch non-English shows without a decent English subtitle.

Eventually, the time had to come for it to end. It was somewhat easy to let it go because the Playstation 2 had cooler features aside from backward compatibility. The PS2 significantly lowered the loading times of the first game because of DVD technology. The system got so old eventually but it was an important stepping stone. PS2 onwards really focused on improving to the point that most arcade games brought home were, in fact, better translations.

Comments