The Japanese Song "Rouge" Or "Lipstick" And Some Of Its Covers

It's really something when a tune gets popular and it gets a cover, right? "Rouge" by Miyuki Nakajima is the original song that got a cover by Faye Wong. Hong Kong's Cantopop industry did covers of Japanese, Filipino, and American songs. The song "Rouge" was covered by Wong under the name "Broken Hearted Woman" in Mandarin and Cantonese. I kind of prefer Wong's Mandarin cover. Wong also sang the English cover "Please Don't Go Away" while Jessica Jay had an English cover "Broken Hearted Woman". Cally Kwong also sang the Mandarin version.

Here's a translation  of the Japanese song "Rouge":

Now I am very socialized
Even when I face a drunken man
Now I am very socialized
Every time applying lipstick I know I'll become more and more communicative
In those days because of pursuing him
I followed him till this place
I only had a light cherry blossom colored lipstick with me
Because of pursuing that person
I had constantly mistaken identities
Unconsciously I accustomed to cry
Now I am very socialized
Every time applying lipstick I know I'll become more and more communicative

Now I can make smiles to pacify
Even when that person is not my man
Now I can make smiles to pacify
Every time applying lipstick I know I am false enough
*Migratory bird is born to know traveling
It knows its instincts while tidying up its wings
But I'll only discover by paying attention that
I almost forget to mirror that light cherry blossom color
The strange color that people laugh at now
Now I can make smiles to pacify
Every time applying lipstick I know I am false enough

The Cantonese version is as follows which proves that the song isn't even a translation but a cover:

We gradually became drunk as we go deeper into the night
At this moment we are so close together
My reminiscence seems to be shaking
My dilemma grows deeply into me all the more

With my once broken heart
I let you softly attach to it today
So much relief but also doubt
Secretly growing on me again

Love is hard to resist
I am actually a woman who can be very easily broken-hearted
Please don't, please don't, please don't come and go in such a hurry
Please have pity on my heart

If you do understand me
And continue to fall madly in love
With this woman who can be very easily broken-hearted
Don't wait any longer, at this moment, kiss me passionately

Having you for a long night, it's intoxicaton but also reality
You allow me to have finally found my faith
I don't care if everything is still an uncertainty
Happiness are lovers

Here's an MV featuring Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. The song above features the lyrics (in English) and the song is in Mandarin. Gotta love how the maker of the video took time to find the English lyrics. 

While I'm a fan of Julianna Jean's cover of "Tian Mi Mi" and Michael Learns to Rock's "Take Me to Your Heart" but this one... nah! I find this to be a rather flat cover of Chinese songs. 

For me, it's a nice tune. The Japanese language is so beautiful that it's haunting. Then again, I've not been so keen on Japanese entertainment these days. Still, it doesn't mean I've forgotten Japan's contributions and inventions that caused a great worldwide revolution. I still remember how Japanese influence exists in many of my favorite Korean and Taiwanese shows too. 

Comments

  1. Don't forget this turkish cover "8:15 Ferry" by Yonca Evcimik: https://youtu.be/S-eQk1ia_IU

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment