South India's Chicken Dosa

 

While I normally go for Indian vegetarian dishes - I also do eat Indian meat dishes though I don't have an interest in seafood masala. Dosa in itself is a vegetable pancake made from beans and rice. Mongo can be used as a substitute for lentils resulting in green dosa. Since dosa is from South India - it would probably be better to get one that's meaty. Sure, I've enjoyed dosa with potato filling (mashed potato preferably) but I ended up enjoying chicken curry dosa instead. 

Why I'd recommend a chicken curry dosa over a vegetable dosa? For starters, I think North Indian usually cooks vegetables better than South India. I think South Indian usually cooks meat better than vegetables. Though I've tried some South Indian vegetable dishes (such as their version of chole battura) - North India takes the score. Meanwhile, South Indian prepares better chicken curry for me and North Indian doesn't. So knowing what kind of Indian food an Indian restaurant serves is vital to knowing what may taste really good. Again, it's important to NEVER ask for beef in an Indian restaurant like you NEVER ask for pork in a Middle Eastern restaurant. 

My favorite variation of dosa uses chickpeas over lentils. I don't want my dosa to be smooth but a little bit rough. The chicken dosa usually is served with crispier-than-usual dosa unlike the ones served for Indian dosa. So if you want a chicken dosa - make sure you're getting it from a SOUTH Indian restaurant. A North Indian restaurant may give you good quality vegetarian dosa but I doubt their chicken dosa will taste that good. South Indian meat dishes for me are the best of Indian meat dishes. 

Comments