Sega Losing To Sony TWICE In The Console Wars


Sega vs. Sony is such a fond memory. Back then, I actually whined back then for almost everything I wanted. We had an old Family Computer and later had a moderate LONG enjoyment of the first Playstation which eventually broke down. Then I remembered getting the PS2 then much later the PS3. The 1990s also had one memory of people having Sega Systems and me being jealous. Namely, it was because I was a crazed fan of the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon. Later, I ended up playing the classics on the PS2 and many of them tested my skill rather painfully. 

Sega had the Sega Genesis and the Sega Megadrive. Then it happened - Sega Saturn was launched and Sony released the Playstation. I wish I had both though I'm currently thankful I had only one of them before. Though I received the PS1 on sale like I got the PS2 on sale. There was also the Sega Dreamcast which eventually crashed down and the PS2 stayed for a rather long time before the PS3 became a major hit. 

The failed naked woman ad

One of the craziest things Sega Saturn did was use the image of Barbara Moore a Playboy model. Barbara herself (sidenote) was a fembot in Austin Powers - a film which I tend to look in disgust with some of its toilet humor. The whole ad actually bragged itself better than the Playstation. There was this rather (and I dare say it) stupid element of distraction with a model who's not that pretty IMHO. So, the whole thing was trying to get adolescent gamers to adult gamers to buy the game system. The rather crazy ad was probably trying to convince you to get the game over the woman. Though, was it really even necessary? Just really stupid and probably beautiful desperation to get you to get the system. Hmmm... just had me thinking I did get a spanking after I hid a copy of EGM with it. You can't just imagine the craziness that was!

So, what do I find really WRONG with this marketing campaign? Obviously, if they wanted parents to buy the Sega Saturn then why use an adult approach? It could work IF it was aimed at adults. I think they couldn't even get their demographic at all. Having a naked woman in the ad was very misleading. To use a hot naked woman to draw attention is an obvious sign of desperation to get more units sold. I admit, I secretly wanted a Sega Saturn because of that ad. But like every desperate ad - it's sure not going to work wonders in the long run!

I have to admit that MOST Playboy models don't look that pretty or are not even pretty. I guess I'm too used to the idea of Pamela Anderson was once the most beautiful woman in the world before she botched it. Barbara was forever associated with the failed ad itself. A clearer photo of Barbara in her prime will tell you she's not even alluring at all. I even think Barbara (even in her younger days) looks like a mannequin than a living person. I felt that it was just a weird thing (or not) that she was chosen for the expected failed marketing campaign in 1994. 

I guess Pamela was lucky not to be part of the whole nonsense marketing scheme. Pamela deserved better than that considering she wasn't just a bombshell - she's someone who can kick ass!

Which system had the better cabinet?

Though, I have to confess that the Playstation probably had a better cabinet of games. There were two 3D graphic fighting game franchises that were competing for the top spot namely Tekken and Virtua Fighter. What was more was that Virtua Fighter came first and Tekken was basically a hodge-podge of several ideas. Consider how Nina Williams herself is the CLONE of Sarah Bryant - not the other way around. It wasn't just Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat - the two martial arts, realism-based but obviously rooted on sci-fi and fantasy games were really competing on each other. Both games were based on real martial arts moves though we know which game took the cabinet.

Consider how the Sega Saturn pathetic ad actually tried to brag about Virtua Fighter. However, you can see the progression of the games. Back then, Tekken was a Playstation exclusive during the fifth generation era. The two fifth-generation games were trying to see who can have the "bring home arcade" for the better. Virtua Fighter remained anemic while Tekken actually did add some content. The first Tekken game gave unlockable fighters and endings for the regular characters. Both games created a sequel but guess again who did it better? Tekken 2 didn't only give more unlockable characters but also more individual endings. There were more additional characters with depth. The popularity of Tekken would really help the sales of the PS1. 

Dreamcast or Nightmarecast?

Eventually, Sega decided to go ambitious with the Sega Dreamcast in 1999. I remembered how I actually wanted a Dreamcast (but never openly asked for one) because of Marvel vs. Capcom 2. I heard of how the system actually had an arcade-perfect port of Marvel vs. Capcom - something that the PS1 failed to do. However, it had to contend with two new rivals namely Microsoft's X-Box and Sony's Playstation 2. Yes, both systems went into rivalry and the Dreamcast abruptly fell down. It wasn't the first time Sega had a blow with Sony too - the Sega Saturn crashed and then the Dreamcast eventually was gone. Good thing I NEVER had a Dreamcast.

So why did the Dreamcast fail? Goliath cited the following reasons from "10 Reasons Why the Sega Dreamcast Failed":

  1. Lack of a second analog stick - something that the Nintendo 64 also was known for.
  2. The controller was really THAT HUGE. One reason why I love the Playstation controller is that it's just the right size! Though I think the PS4 controller is kinda heavy.
  3. Dreamcast lacked the DVD - something the PS2 had.
  4. PS2 also had again, more popular games. I mean, why get a Dreamcast when I could get a PS2 and try the big time Tekken Tag Tournament 2 which would be WAY BETTER than any Virtua Fighter game? Not to mention, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 made a better translation. Though too bad Capcom was bitchy not to create arcade-perfect translations of the previous entries for the PS2. I mean, I could still appreciate an updated version of the classic Marvel vs. Capcom which for me is BETTER than the rather chaotic second game!
Eventually, the Dreamcast became a Nightmare-Cast. Sega finally decided to pull the plug off from console gaming to becoming a third-party developer. That is, Sega ended up creating games for its former rivals in the console wars. That means, you ended up seeing Sonic the Hedgehog in the Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft X-Box systems and the upgraded versions. It was because of the Dreamcast's failure I was able to play Sonic games for the first time without a Sega system.

Sega's two big crushing blows from Sony (along with Nintendo and Microsoft) eventually forced it to simply stick to gaming. Though again, I'd forever call Virtua Fighter an anemic game franchise that I'd never get into!

Comments