Some Stuff That Became Popular That Somehow Still Make Still Me Gag

Just because it's popular doesn't mean I have to like it, right? I exercise my freedom of choice which I'm doing right now in this blog. All these will appear in somewhat chronological order to when I developed a gag for them. 


Durian 

My folks (mostly from Mindanao) love durian. I do love a lot of fruits but durian isn't one of them. Somehow, it still makes me gag that one of my second-degree uncles (who died at 92) would speak highly of it. Durian is not only popular among Filipinos but also among other Asians in tropical countries. I hear China and Taiwan is a good market for durian. Durian ends up becoming a multitude of food. I grew up and decided to try it again - it still makes me gag! Though, I'm still willing to sell it and see other people enjoy it even when I still DISLIKE IT.


The Power Rangers franchise

Yes, it's already known that I don't like the Power Rangers franchise. Though back then, it was the thing and Saban's gamble with Toei Ltd. was such a huge success. Back then, I just thought that the Zyuranger toys were toys made in Japan. I mean, I had to read Questor Magazine why Saban ended up having to get that license from Toei to localize Super Sentai as Power Rangers. I do have my eyebrows raised though thankfully - some Power Rangers fans created fan sites for Super Sentai to promote it. It did become that popular for some time. Though, until now, the show still makes me gag for a number of reasons. One of them is the use of fight footage mixed with the American footage. Another is how Mighty Morphin' overextended into two more seasons. Maybe, I could also mention the Disney era and the Nickelodeon era. The Nickelodeon era made me walk out of the franchise even farther due to its really BAD scheduling. 


Korean pop music

I love K-Drama but not K-Pop. Weird? Well, not really. Back then, I was more into Japanese entertainment and Taiwanese entertainment more than Korean entertainment. For me, K-Drama was an acquired taste though I watched Full House and IRIS because of the attractive actresses. But for the music? Sorry, but J-Pop is still that high on my list. For some reason, I just don't like the Korean musical beat. Enjoy K-Pop if you want but not me. I still find it a bit too noisy for my style and J-Pop seems to be more relaxing. 


Cream cheese with your tea

As a tea drinker, I usually prefer it plain though I seldom add milk to it but without sugar. If I can't understand why some people like adding sugar to theirs - I can't understand the cream cheese with tea craze either. For me, adding cream cheese to tea does feel weird. Sure, I can get along with cream cheese with blueberries or fruit but with tea? It just feels so weird yet the item sells like hotcakes.


Seafood masala

I love Indian food but like every cuisine - I have stuff I can do without. I think seafood masala is one of them. For me, the best of Indian food would be usually vegetables, chicken, or mutton. But seafood? I'd order a vegetable dish over seafood any day. 

Comments