Why I Kissed 3D TV Goodbye For Polarized Glasses


Just because something is new doesn't mean it's automatically good. We do have to embrace the new but also reject the new. That is to be careful of what new stuff brings. I remembered 3D TV craze and I tried playing Mortal Kombat (2011) and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on the PS3 because of the 3D features. At first, it felt cool then I felt dizzy. Not to mention, battery-operated 3D glasses required charging of the battery AND it's heavy. I can't even wear them on top of prescription glasses which I need to read subtitles from afar. 

Then an inexpensive alternative came out - just get passive 3D glasses. Since flatscreen TV is the norm then they work in some way. My flatscreen TV at home is dated a few years back. So, I decided to give passive 3D glasses a try and wore them on top of my prescription glasses. The best results were that I was getting a "3D view" from a flatscreen. It really worked in some way that old school shows I watch don't need to be converted to 3D. Though, the glasses work best with modern videos such as MP4 and MKV. Passive 3D glasses gave viewers a 3D view that may make 3D TV go away. 

Though, I don't think anaglyphs will be a thing in the past either. So far, anaglyph still has that "deeper penetration" that's just unachievable by basic passive 3D glasses and non-anaglyphic photos or videos.

Comments