Brisk Walking VS. Dancing To Get 10,000 Steps

 
I was thinking about several alternatives to lose weight. Some say to walk 10,000 steps casually though there's also the suggestion to burn THAT MUCH calories. I was thinking about how to get the steps. 10,000 steps is said to be 200+ calories - that's if we don't consider the heart rate. So, I decided to do 10,000 steps in two ways - casual walking in a peaceful subdivision vs. dancing your way. I find casual walking to be rather relaxing and at your own pace. In fact, I prefer casual brisk walking to be more fun and calorie burning than treadmill. An hour on the treadmill usually burns 200+ calories while brisk walking for an hour can burn 300+ calories. 

What about dancing your way to 10,000 steps? Dancing makes you move your arms and legs. It requires lots of effort to get hand and eye coordination practiced. I don't think you need to be good at dancing to enjoy it and reap its benefits. You just need to diligently practice and do it without thinking about becoming a professional dancer. It's like taking basic self-defense lessons - not everyone can be Bruce Lee but anybody can learn basic martial arts to defend one's themselves or to burn calories. The use of dancing really makes you do a lot of movement which raises the heart rate up higher than brisk walking.

My experience with dancing to 10,000 steps made me burn more calories than the treadmill or brisk walking. Playing Just Dance 4 or using videos from Joanna Soh, Paul Eugene, or any fitness instructors can burn more calories. My experience with the 10,000 steps exercise is that it actually made me burn 500 calories to 600 calories. Just Dance 4 ends up giving me the same amount for 45 minutes workout - burning more than a regular brisk walking. 

Though, I end up going back to brisk walking (or treadmill in case of bad weather) when I'm feeling too tired to dance but have the energy to walk. However, it also means I have to wear faceshield and facemask doing so which can be TIRING. I really hate disinfecting them after the walks because of COVID-19. For me, nothing beats the joy of walking around in a peaceful subdivision by the hills though it will burn less calories.

Comments