Fitness Instructor Joanna Soh


Is the pandemic really making you fat? Well, it doesn't have to be. I was thinking about how having a Mi-Band (though mine is not the latest model yet) is helpful in monitoring the calories burned. One fitness instructor you might want to check out is Joanna Soh - a Malaysian-Chinese female fitness instructor. I usually prefer to work with a male instructor (and having women work with female instructors) but I don't see any reason why a female instructor can't do a co-ed calorie burn. Some men have handled co-ed classes so I don't see any reason why a woman can't handle a co-ed class. 


I was thinking about Joanna's 3KM fat-burning indoor walk. What I experienced is that it didn't give me my desired number of steps (6K to 8K) BUT I did sure burn nearly 400 calories on my first try of this workout. It's much more calories burned than doing the treadmill or regular walking routine. Sure, hiking around several levels of elevation can burn calories but so far I could achieve 300 at the most with a face shield and face mask on. It's really quite different when I would do walking for 2 hours (or even more) without a facemask and face shield when there was no COVID-19. The science of losing calories doesn't only involve sweating - it also involves huffing and puffing. It turns out that the majority of burned fat leaves the body as carbon dioxide while some leave the body as water. It doesn't mean you lose fat just breathing. Instead, it requires you to raise your heart rate working out which in turn will make you breathe in more oxygen and exhale more carbon dioxide.

A piece of advice though is to really check which exercise isn't really that heavy. My favorite exercises are usually the ones that use dancing and some basic punches and kicks. You don't need to be a dancer or martial artist to enjoy them. Just try to do what you can and learn at your own pace with her videos. 

Comments