More Exercise, Better Gaming?

 
I was thinking about the days when I spent too much time playing the first Playstation we had to the point my grades dropped badly. I would think about how much I wanted to spend more time playing video games than anything else. One of the biggest reasons perhaps my grades were so bad was my sedentary lifestyle back in high school -- the demotivated, impatient guy who wants instant solutions instead of building up greatness. The Great Wall of China didn't build itself in one day. The Rice Terraces of Banaue never built itself in one day. Great things take time. The same goes for gaming. 

The time for cheat codes finally died. Back then, I was into a lot of cheat codes such as how I finished Resident Evil 3 (Hard Mode) with a Gameshark Lite. It means it was an achievement-oriented time. I was already on the quest to lose weight. I got myself a pedometer. Now, it was time to try and reach 6,000 steps a day or more. It was really that time when I decided to spend more time exercising than a sedentary lifestyle. In college, the more I got into basic exercises such as walking more -- the easier lessons got eventually because the mind had an easier time processing information. It didn't mean lessons became a breeze in college -- they simply got "easier" because my mind could now process more information by walking more steps. Some of these steps involved me walking all the way from one block to another instead of riding a jeepney. Then I got back to a sedentary lifestyle after college (sort of) while still walking back and forth on lunch breaks when I could take a jeepney. I realized I had better gaming skills when I had more exercise than none.

I decided to do some casual, non-academic research on whether or not gaming skills are enhanced by more exercise. My hypothesis began with observing how gaming addicts usually spend more time playing and LOSING. Meanwhile, highly disciplined gamers who study their lessons and go to the gym made better gamers. I remembered playing against my friend who was into sports. It wasn't any surprise that he had better reflexes than I did in gaming. It turns out that e-Sports players actually have a lot of gym training. I thought it was just a fictional concept introduced in King's Avatar. Turns out that that pro-gamers need a lot of exercises. Personally, I want to immerse myself into their exercise more than their training in video games -- since I'm just that casual gamer.

How would more exercise mean better gaming? It's because more exercise builds a sharper mind. A computer game is a MENTAL exercise. Some arcade machines do have that monster CPU such as Mortal Kombat II in the past. Spending more time exercising and less time playing the games might mean getting a better gaming instinct. Sure, not instantly, but it would at least help me in understanding the CPU. Ont he other hand, pro-players will be able to give a good fight against each other that winning or losing will be enjoyable on both sides. 

Comments