Buying Some Toys I Never Had Later In Life

WorthPoint

I was thinking of how often I was jealous of someone I now dub "Mr. Sinister". This "Mr. Sinister" guy was pretty much the cool kid who had almost any toy he wanted. I remembered how I grew up not having a Super NES (and that Exceedraft episode reminded me of how I hated not having one as a CHILD). I was looking for vintage toys of what I wanted as a child. I remembered the oddity that I wanted a Kamen Rider BLACK RX toy. I remembered how I had some Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers that are now broken. Why I still kept some old toys (and some are broken) is just weird. I still have my Conan the Adventurer toy even if the cartoon show is an Old Shame now. So much for me quarreling with my parents about missing an episode!

I really looked for some second-hand toys. Some of them were sold TOO PRICEY. Why would I buy a vintage Kamen Rider toy set for that much? Another offered to sell an entire set (13 pieces) BUT I thought 3,000+ would be too expensive. I could use that to add money to an existing investment. I must also admit with the Showa era - most of the shows are that bad. Heck, I admit that Kamen Rider Super-1 (with or without the scam) is really not worth my rewatch. I felt that most of the Showa era Kamen Rider entries aren't my type. I ended up preferring the Heisei-era Kamen aRiders even if there are a few questionable entries. I think Kamen Rider Decade continues to remain as such though the episodes by Toshiki Inoue and Yasuko Kobayashi made it SLIGHTLY better than Saban's Mashed Rider. Though, I was hesitant to check out newer shows because I'm prone to riding on bandwagons. 

I decided to get the Kamen Rider BLACK and Black RX toys minus Shadow Moon. Sure, the antennas were cut off due to wear and tear. It's still better than if I paid PHP 8,000+ set which still had the box. Why would I pay PHP 8,000+ for an OLD TOY? I feel it's because of the "vintage value". Still, I feel an aging piece of plastic isn't worth selling that high compared to new merchandise. I ended up buying the four toys I wanted to get at Toy Kingdom as a tween. Now, I decided to dish out some money for it via Shopee. It's been satisfying even if the antennas weren't in good condition. It's expected (actually) since the toys were made in the 1980s. 

Right now, I feel like depriving your children of too many toys is good. I never had a Super NES but we soon had a PS1 then a PS2. The PS2 did have some fanmade disks such as the SNES Station. I finally played Super Mario World via that game and dropped off that abominable bootleg by the Hummer Team. I felt a smile on my face in contrast to children who kept having things handed over to them at whim. I think the satisfaction of looking for a "fair deal" for aging plastic was another. I even bought some stuffed animals from Blue Magic with my money. I guess it's best that children shouldn't get too many toys. Sometimes, getting what you want later in life can be more satisfying, right? 

Comments