Crazy Post: My Fictional Childhood Crushes As Far As I Can Remember

I guess it's time to write another crazy post, right? It's time to write some fictional crushes I had as a child. Sure, I was aware they weren't real. But I could say that I really had this weird set of crushes whether they be video games, live-action fiction, and cartoon characters. These aren't in any specific order. I'll cite the show, movie, or game they were in.

Without much ado, here they are... 

Daphne Blake (mostly older Scooby Doo cartoons)

While watching Scooby Doo and Scrappy Doo Show (my first exposure to the franchise) - I did find myself secretly attracted to Daphne Blake. Later on, other incarnations of the show with Scrappy Doo (who's sadly, UNFAIRLY hated) later had her nearly taking the title of protagonist over the titular character. The new adventures had her, Scooby, Scrappy, and Shaggy working to solve myseries. I guess she's really that popular in contrast the others in Mystery Inc. She's also often shipped with Freddie though I did ship her with Johnny Bravo at one point. However, it seems Johnny and Velma may actually work better. 

I think an awkward childhood moment of mine was Daphne in a BIKINI. I guess I'll always find that episode to be taking away my sweet innocence as a child. I remembered how I'd watch Scooby Doo having a lustful gaze at Daphne more than anything. 

Ariel from The Little Mermaid (1989)

I think it's easy to think I'm nuts because I skipped the whole The Little Mermaid (2023) remake. No, I've got nothing against Haile Bailey BUT I think my issue has to be the forced diversification. I'd be fine IF the whole story was Africanized. If it was creatively made an African story entirely - I'd appreciate the creativity. Have black actors here and there and just reimagine it as Africa, with Prince Eric as a black tribal prince, Triton as an undersea chieftain, Ursula as an undersea voodoo witch. Yes, if it was moved to Africa, I'd watch it! 

However, this was probably my first Disney Princess crush. The red-haired, green-eyed beauty caught my attention. I always thought the 1989 version was really pretty. What saddened me though was that the original story had a bad ending. I was glad to see Ariel and Eric together unlike what happened in the original story. I guess I'll watch the original since it was what it was meant to be. Meanwhile, I'm still welcome to any PROPER reimagination. Hopefully, some company will make an Africanized version that's not just diversification for the sake of it. 

Belle from Beauty and the Beast (1991)

I guess I do have shallow reasons to dislike the 2017 version. I've got nothing against Emma Watson but she's JUST. NOT. BELLE. Not that a more attractive actress will save it from me giving the Nostalgia Critic style criticism towards it though. So where do I begin? Right now, I really view Belle as a lollipop. A pretty girl without a nice body. But I always felt that her personality of being strong-willed and intelligent are the best features she has as a character. I guess Gaston was more than just attracted to her face since the Bimbettes were actually hotter than she was. Gaston wants a good hunt and it's probably just some Freudian excuse when he calls her the "most beautiful in town".

As a child, I thought of Belle as the most beautiful Disney animated character. I did feel I was either Gaston or Beast or both. My obsession with her led to awkward misadventures with girls I compared to her. Some of them weren't even pretty. One was a girl who looks like Ako in Jetman - an intelligent girl whose mind is the most attractive thing about her. Another was a girl who had round eyes, a pretty face, and a flat body - my real crush that I denied for years. There was the Haruka Suenaga lookalike whose intelligence overshadows her not being all so pretty. Right now, I'm trying to pursue a plain-looking nerd who's Belle on the inside.

Maybe, I didn't have too much of a crush on other Disney princesses. I didn't find Jasmine all too attractive and I'd only want her if I want to legitimize my SIC dictatorship over Agrabah. For Belle, I felt that she was my ideal Disney princess. Just too bad that the 2017 version lacked the charm due to the writing . Emma Watson does her other roles good but Belle she ain't.

Hikaru Katsuragi of Chodenshi Bioman

Maybe, it's not all that bad but I'll admit that she was kind of pretty. Back then, I knew her by her dub name KIMBERLY which was just FUNNY. Yes, it was all before Saban finally had the contract with Toei Ltd. I can't really speak too much about this unlike...

Momoko from Hikari Sentai Maskman

I think Momoko herself was prettier than Hikaru. Back then, I knew her as Mary Rose. I did watch Maskman having this crush on her and shipped her with Takeru. Yes, that's just forced shipping and nothing more. I guess Sakura Nishihori's slight resemblance to her made me want to watch Gougou Sentai Boukenger for silly reasons. She was also a reason why I fell for who I call the Jean Grey of my life.

Catwoman from Batman: The Animated Series (Season 1)

One of my favorite Batman cartoons was the 1990s Batman animated cartoon. I did see some cartoon versions of Batman but my favorite had to be the first season. The second season had very horrendous art. Then I had this guilty crush on Selina Kyle aka Catwoman. Catwoman has always been portrayed to be Batman's enemy AND love interest at the same time. The cartoon brought the love angle heavier than what the Batman (1966) series could ever portray. 

The appearance of Selina as a blonde hair and blue-eyed chick was what I enjoyed. Both of them were always put into the odds against the law. Obviously, Catwoman is the Trope Name for Dating Catwoman. Batman knows that Selena is Catwoman. Heck, there are even times that Catwoman ends up saving Batman from the other villains. Talk about trying to make them a romantic couple. Speaking of which, I think Gracie Dzienny would've made a perfect Catwoman. Maybe other Catwomen can include Jin A Nana (Korean) and Shaina Garcia Magdayao (Filipino).

Poison Ivy from Batman: The Animated Series (Season 1)

If there was any crush that I had in the DC Animated Universe - it's this incarnation of Pamela Isley aka Poison Ivy. I would really still hate that Batman and Robin live-action movie and still curse Uma Thurman's more villainous incarnation of the character to be the worst. Poison Ivy, like Catwoman, is a villain with good intentions or an anti-heroine. Catwoman was more on animals while Poison Ivy is more on plants. This might not be as popular as Batman x Catwoman but hey, I'm a Batman x Poison Ivy shipper all the way.

The first episode she's in namely "Pretty Poison" established her. In the show's continuity, she used to date Harvey Dent before he became Two-Face. The scene where Poison Ivy forcibly kissed Batman makes her a worthy addition. I even imagine a Catwoman/Poison Ivy/Batman love triangle. Poison Ivy did offer Batman an alliance in "Eternal Youth". Batman did get repulsed by her extreme methods to deal with unethical industrialists. I even felt that Batman could've guided Poison Ivy from the path of an anti-villain to a full-time hero.

I hated what they did to Poison Ivy's design later on. She's supposedly known to be an incredibly attractive woman. The whole green skin or chalk white skin murdered the character's identity. I think that the first animated Poison Ivy ever done was so alluring that her poison kiss becomes inviting. I did compare a couple of women I knew to Poison Ivy back in high school and in college. 

Later, I did end up adding Poison Ivy's non-addition as to why I'm glad I never had Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. I did try playing that game on rent and it's terrible. Maybe, I would've picked it if it had Poison Ivy in it looking all hot. Yeah, it's crazy but it's true!

There are a couple of actresses I did call Poison Ivy. I did make a comparison to Shaina and Poison Ivy though Rhian Ramos Howell takes the cake. For any stronger lookalike, I think Bella Thorne would've made a good Poison Ivy as well. 


Jean Grey from X-Men: The Animated Series

I could say that I did have a Jean Grey in my Wolverine-like love life. Though, I did have moments where I felt Cyclops suited me better because I'm having animosity with someone who's kind of like Mr. Sinister. If there was any member of the Saban X-Men team that I had a crush on the most - it's JEAN GREY. I did feel Wolverine's pain and ended up liking Cyclops more. I did remember how Cyclops' enmity with Mr. Sinister reminded me of a spoiled brat I hated so much. 

IMHO, I think Cyclops and Jean Grey is the best combination ever. That's why I hated how Marvel's writers decided to write Jean Grey off in favor of Emma. Sure, Emma was also pretty but I think Jean Grey was the true babe of X-Men. It could be that I preferred Cyclops x Jean and I did ship Wolverine x Emma at one point. Though, it seems that Wolverine x Storm might be the best combination second to Cyclops and Jean. I do find myself thinking Wolverine can be with Storm while Cyclops SHOULD be with Jean. 

I think Jean's in X-Men: TAS was probably the most mesmerizing animated character produced from Saban's animated females. I ended up having Cyclops as my favorite character because of her. I'd say that none of the live-action adaptation actresses could truly bring the character to life. I feel that her being relegated to just a cameo character in the Marvel-based fighting games by Capcom is an injustice to the character. Come on, she's practically the best X-Men babe ever IMHO! 

Kimberly Hart from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

It's no secret that I really ended up disliking Power Rangers one way or another. However, I still acknowledge that Toei Ltd. is also behind it, and calling it a bootleg is PLAIN STUPID. I'd prefer to call it simply not my cup of tea. Still, I feel that if it wasn't for that franchise that I dislike - Toei would've never reached the American market. This was a crazy turning point IMHO. I would watch Mighty Morphin' not just because it was that "brand new cool show". I already had some innocence lost in seeing Kimberly in the show.

Sure, there were some pink rangers that I crushed on before her. I mentioned earlier that Hikaru and Momoko are among them. I remembered at one point I thought Saban was guilty of copyright infringement until I did some research. Dislike Power Rangers all I want but nothing changes the fact that Toei gave Saban the rights. I always felt she was prettier than any Power Rangers or Super Sentai girl. Some fans may disagree and think that it's probably better to give it to other candidates like Marika "Jasmine" Reimon from Tokosou Sentai Dekaranger or Mako Shiraishi from Samurai Sentai Shinkenger. But I'm talking about childhood fictional crushes here so both girls are OUT OF THE TOPIC here.

I think watching the show for her was one of my dumb decisions. I did hate how Katherine Hillard came into the picture. As an adult, I did Google that Amy Jo Johnson decided to leave the show. At a certain point, I guess I'm glad Kimberly was eventually written off. Amy Jo deserved better than getting stuck for so long in Power Rangers. If only Mighty Morphin' ended as planned. Instead, Toei got greedy too and agreed to Saban's request. 

I'd admit that having Naomi Scott play Kimberly in the 2017 movie was dumb. Heck, that whole movie was really that badly-written and boring. It lacks the vibes of what a Power Rangers movie should be. I also ended up hating Power Rangers Megaforce because 

Cassie Jean Parker from the Baywatch series

I would say that I did watch Baywatch for dumb reasons. Yes, and it was that time when Pamela Anderson didn't waste her looks on unnatural stuff. Scenes with Cassie in a bikini or swimsuit would totally drive me wild. I can't remember many episodes since I was too distracted by the time Cassie came into the show.

I guess I had a dumb reason not to watch the Baywatch movie. I felt that Kelly Rohrbach as Cassie felt stupid. It's already too well-known that I'd probably watch it IF Gracie Dzienny were Cassie. 

Sonya Blade in Mortal Kombat 

I simply had a thing for blondes and Johnny Cage once started as my favorite Mortal Kombat character. Maybe, that's until I just felt Liu Kang was cooler and my favorite Mortal Kombat girl was Kitana. Sonya ended up copying the appearances of other characters like Sarah Bryant and Nina Williams in future games. Heck, I even commented on how Sonya in Mortal Kombat (2011) was blatantly designed after Nina.

I did remember how she was chained in Mortal Kombat II in the arena before she was made playable again. I did have issues with her being unplayable during Mortal Kombat Deception (better NOT replay it after MK 2011). I think her costume got too sexy in MK9 - something I felt wasn't fitting well into a bloody game. Why MK9 went for skimpy clothing similar to Tekken and Soul Calibur just feels weird for an American-made game. 

The incarnations of the character I detested were the Mortal Kombat Annihilation movie as well as the Mortal Kombat Legends versions. Maybe, I can also add how horrible everyone looks in Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm which is also an Old Shame. Fortunately, MK11 refused to use the Ronda Rousey's face on the character look which just feels weird. 

I'm glad that MK11 did bring Sonya's Brigitte Wilson look back. She did look a lot like Brigitte back in MK9 and her elder self looked like an aging gracefully Brigitte. Ronda was just not Sonya at all inside-out. Ronda as the voice still works but not as the facial template. 


Princess Kitana in Mortal Kombat 

Perhaps my favorite Mortal Kombat chick of all time. I could remember eventually not liking Mortal Kombat 4 because she went missing. I did hate myself for not having that blasted Sega Dreamcast because of Mortal Kombat Gold. Eventually, I'd say that I wish I had Mortal Kombat Unchained to play as her. Then we have the Mortal Kombat reboot in MK9. Her love story with Liu Kang was probably a better deal than my other favorite couple Johnny x Sonya. Though, Sonya and Johnny did reconcile and they still mutually love their daughter Cassie.

Kitana is 20 in Edenian years but 10,000 in Earth years. The story doesn't explain how time differs between Edenia and Earth. It can be assumed that the Edenians are lesser gods so her story with Liu Kang is similar to Cowherd and Weaver Girl. In the case of the story I mentioned - it was an Elder Goddess marrying a mortal man. The love story underwent so many bad times whether it's the original timeline or the revised timeline before the upcoming game.

Kitana did lose Liu Kang when he supposedly died in Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance. The two did get reunited in death in Mortal Kombat X. MKX revealed that both Liu Kang and Kitana have become Revenants serving Shinnok. Heck, the ending even goes as far as to have Liu Kang and Kitana take over the Netherrealm. I think Liu Kang and Kitana were appointed by Raiden to rule the Netherrealm but warned them not to follow in Shinnok's footsteps. The love story does get dynamic again in Mortal Kombat 11 after a timeline disruption. Past Liu Kang and Past Kitana are horrified at how they have Revenant future selves.


Jezmine in Conan the Adventurer

After watching the Conan the Barbarian (1982) film - I find watching the cartoon to be not as appealing anymore. Some can argue that Wrath-Amon could fight against Cartoon Conan in contrast to the Movie Thulsa Doom. Though the show made a few references to the Movie Thulsa Doom in the character of Ram-Amon. Heck, I even almost thought Ram-Amon was voiced by James Earl Jones himself. I did watch the show having a crush on one character - Jezmine. Yes, Jezmine not JASMINE. She was also revealed to half a serpent woman because of her father Astivus. Astivus was a serpent man who defected from Set out of love for a human woman.

I did call Valeria from the 1982 movie "Jezmine" and Movie Thulsa "Wrath-Amon". Yeah, I never found Sandahl Bergman pretty and Valerie Quennessen had long left us when I saw it. Jezmine's beauty was so noticeable among many characters in the film. A womanizer named Nanoc tried to get her. A cannibal warlord tried to get her. Many characters wanted Jezmine because of her good looks. There was a fan disservice episode when Jezmine was turned into a snakewoman in service of Set the serpent god in a Bad Future. 

I'd say that this Jezmine would probably not like 1982 Conan acted by Arnold Schwarzenegger. I think an edge she'd have is that she might survive Movie Thulsa's snake arrow in contrast to Valeria. Her half-serpent woman heritage might provide her the anti-venom to survive Movie Thulsa's arrows. 


Jennifer Doyle of Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad

Before knowing about Gridman, there was the American adaptation called Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad or SSSS for short. The series didn't have a definite ending compared to what Gridman did when it finally got rid of the main villain Kahn Digifier. Here, Kilokahn managed to return and the ending was hanging. It was a guilty pleasure to watch it simply for Jennifer like I watched Mighty Morphin' for Kimberly. So far, it seems the actress retired too soon and may be happily married somewhere with a family. 


Xiang Chun Li of Street Fighter 

I may usually prefer white girls but who says East Asians can't be hot? Chun Li herself is pretty much one of those attractive women I did nickname a few girls as Chun Li such as a crush of mine who looks like Mika Katsumura or another girl who looks like Haruka Suenaga. I think of Chun Li as that badass beautiful Chinese woman you don't want to mess with. 

However, I do feel Chun Li, as hot as she is, can get easily overshadowed in the looks department. As far as concerned, she's really been meant to be portrayed as a strong woman and not a beautiful woman. She did a fanservice in the unedited version of the Street Fighter II OVA movie. Yes, I can't post it here because of obvious reasons. 


Cammy White from Stree Fighter series and the Street Fighter II V Anime

Sure, I pretty much hate the American Street Fighter cartoon. It was simply a dumb series version of the failed Street Fighter movie. I remembered how Super Street Fighter II and followed up by Super Street Fighter II Turbo finally came out. Sure, I had a crush on Chun Li but then there was Cammy. Yes, Cammy. I may have found Ming Na Wen attractive but not as much as Kylie Minogue. There are times Cammy is shipped with Guile. However, in canon, Guile is a family man and Ken Masters' brother-in-law since their wives are siblings. 


I also watched Street Fighter II V which came some time after the movie. This Cammy looked more like Sarah Bryant and by extension, Nina Williams. This one had a killer string move which was NEVER used in the actual Street Fighter canon. I think Sonya's fatality in MK9 was inspired by Cammy's string death move in here. 

What always bummed me over was when I played Street Fighter Alpha 3 in the 1990s. It wasn't just beause the final boss was actually "Bison II" (Vega II in Japanese). It was also the ending revelation that was poorl inserted. Bison admits that Cammy is a MODIFIED CLONE of him. So WTF? I guess Bison did use his DNA and some random woman's DNA (similar to Nathan Grey from X-Men who's a modified clone made from Cyclops and Jean Grey in AoA) to create a female modified clone of him? I felt the story doesbn't make sense unless it's explained. So technically, Bison is already her "father" while that unknown woman may be her mother. I think the same can't be said about the other clones such as Abel and Seth. I think Cammy was created as a decoy of sorts that would allow Bison to move without suspicion. However, since Cammy isn't purely Bison DNA so I giess that's why she was able to resist.

Yeah, that twist in Street Fighter Alpha 3 came out, I really felt bonkers. I wonder why in the world did the people of Capcom give Cammy such a bizarre story of a fan disservice? It's really that random. Steve Fox's origin as Nina Williams' illegitimate son via artificial means are more well-explained. 


Morrigan Aensland from Darkstalkers 

There was the Marvel vs. Capcom series which the first titular game Marvel vs. Capcom gave us Morrigan. Though, she was first introduced in the Darkstalkers series and some may consider her the main protagonist. Although often called a vampire due to her bat motif, she's a succubus. I think she and Demitri Maximoff should be a couple in one way or another. Make them the Beauty and the Beast of the supernatural world. Make the beauty just as supernatural as the beast. 

I think Morrigan is certainly hard to resist. Part of me believes that she's really drinking human blood. Why she was designated as a succubus instead of a vampire feels weird. I could imagine how running into this beauty might a pervert's last day. I could imagine her feeding on my blood or beating me up. There are also times I want to make Demitri her abhorrent admirer (which was in Darkstalkers 3) when Morrigan turned herself into stone in his ending. Either way, I kinda want her and Demitri to be together.

So far, I think Morrigan might be that hit muse. The later entries post Marvel vs. Capcom 1 had her all throughout. She's even in the failed Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite. I wonder if I regret not buying the bad game. Still, I admit that she's dazzlingly beautiful.


Psylocke from X-Men and the Marvel Super Heroes game

I confess that Jean Grey's probably my greatest crush ever. However, that didn't stop me from noticing Psylocke who's not that pretty for me. Still, I did play Marvel Super Heroes on the arcade and later on the PSX where she was my default character. Sure, Wolverine is one character I like to use a lot but I felt she was given more than proper representation with the Smurfette Principle. She's practically not a weak character. She's got excellent zoning with her Psi-Blast variation, combing with her spin attack, and I could say her Super Moves are to be reckoned with. 

I think another weak spot of Saban's X-Men: The Animated Series is that some popular characters don't get enough appearances. Colossus, Iceman, Archangel, and Psylocke are among a few characters that couldn't fit into Saban's adaptation for a reason. I guess adapting the X-Men into a TV-Y7-FV setting or a cartoon is easier said than done The main core team is there. Psylocke was only a guest character and it was for the intended finale "Beyond Good and Evil". After that, Psylocke was just a GUEST.

What irritated me was soon how Psylocke was soon not playable in the Marvel vs. Capcom entries that I played. The first entry which was X-Men vs. Street Fighter made her a background character. Later, she was simply made a third limited assist partner in Marvel vs. Capcom 1. Sure, she was playable again in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and was again not in the roster of Marvel vs. Capcom 3. I find it really just WTF especially I'm a huge fan of the character. 

______

That's a huge list! Just expect this post to be updated any time soon! 

Comments