Adaptation: Good or Bad?

Here's the reality: to adapt or not to adapt?  I was just thinking of this question due to the horrible reality of unfair and extreme favoritism of Super Sentai by its purists aside from the freaking childish side of those who don't want to view Super Sentai as Power Rangers extremists.  Now here's the reality.  Adaptation is NOT always bad.  It's how it's being adapted that matters.  Seriously I'm even opening my fan fic "Super Sentai vs. Nickelodeon" for adaptation purposes for those who don't like my roster of characters or felt they can do better, bring it on.  So now here's some good and bad adaptations...


There are Taiwanese and Chinese adaptations of Anime.  Some of them turn out pretty good as you know it.  Meteor Garden was adapted from Hana Yori Dango, to which while it had its big differences (because of a second season) but it was done well.  However some of them can be terrible like Hot Shot due to poor execution.  But still, I am pretty much of a fan of Anime being adapted to become live versions or they can be considered as Chinese and Taiwanese soap opera versions of Anime.


Okay I'm not pretty much a fan of Filipino soaps due to their plots are usually quite close to my dislike for Spanish soaps, but there have been a few exceptions.  GMA-7 does manage to make some of them really good.  Okay I'm just being biased because I'm a Rhianatic as if I can't forget GMA-7 created that horrible Zaido... hopefully they'll NEVER repeat that same mistake.


Some can go from good to terrible in America.  Voltron adapted from Golion really is an old shame for the reason of several unrealistic plots or "hey kids don't worry they're still alive" when who should be dead, should be dead.  Power Rangers had some good seasons and bad seasons but with how Power Rangers is doing from the rise of Operation Overdork, its momentary recovery in Power Rangers RPM and now the horribly done Power Rangers Samurai (seriously I'd rather watch Spongebob over that show!) all I can say is writing is usually what kills them.  However it's still wrong to villainize Power Rangers just because you don't like the show.  If it's supposed to be berated, berate the writing style NOT the characters!!!!

To be honest, if adaptations don't exist, I doubt it the mother company will make money.  After all, Power Rangers buys footage and rights from Toei which means extra money for Toei (but seriously Saban or Nick should consider dubbing Shinkenger for Teen Nick) or new ideas can't be developed.  So I hope that my bashing days are permanently over.

Comments