When I'm Watching Certain Shows To BASH IT As A Guilty Pleasure

 

I was thinking about why in the world did I ever watch Beast Morphers when I dislike (or maybe even hate) Power Rangers all the while I refuse to call it bootleg (due to legalities). It's also no secret that I've been having a hard time staying afloat with Super Sentai after Go-Busters ended. I felt Kyoryuger was a mess and so was Dino Charge even if they've got great stunts that place Ninninger and Ninja Steel to infinite amounts of shame. I felt ToQGer (awarded as it is) isn't the best of Yasuko Kobayashi's works and the crossover with Kamen Rider Gaim is still a borefest. I'm not old-fashioned but I refuse to think newer is always better. Instead, it's all about if something new develops results.

I watched Beast Morphers and had a degree of enjoyment. I tried not to think about Go-Busters (which I think is way better). Super Sentai had a few good entries but I'd say Zyuohger and Zenkaiger aren't good anniversary seasons. Junko Komura handled non-anniversaries better such as Lupinranger vs. Patranger. Kyuranger was good even if it did have some vibes from Kyoryuger such as Lucky is pretty much a Daigo Kiryu BUT the finale has teamwork involved. I even dare say I totally think Space is an overrated Power Rangers season after watching KYURANGER of all shows. I did enjoy Beast Morphers and I'd probably dare say that Zoey is currently the hottest Henshin heroine even if Go-Busters has the better presentation. I did enjoy the show unlike how Samurai and Megaforce (I dropped it too soon after seeing it as a BLOATED MESS) made me overreact. The show was still entertaining but I always felt that, "SCREW IT! WHY DO WE HAVE TO KEEP THROWING BACK TO 1993?"

There's also Donbrothers too which I wonder if Donbrothers!Kaito is totally different from Zenkaiger!Kaito. The show is pretty much atypical and unorthodox. If there's one thing that Donbrothers and Beast Morphers also have in common (and not just Zoey and Haruka being menial service worker heroines) is the return of fan-favorite writers. Toshiki Inoue and Judd Lynn (who might be frequently mentioned with Yasuko Kobayashi) are fan-favorite writers. Though, I don't think Lynn is as great as I used to be after watching more Super Sentai series. I felt Lost Galaxy was a bloated mess from watching the very much 1986 Super Sentai series Flashman. I felt that Space really just was a bloated mess also after watching Changeman. Now, Donbrothers seems to throw back to older Super Sentai not just because of Cafe Donbura, the avatar powers, but also some easter eggs. 

I feel both series can get entertaining. I felt that Beast Morphers' Ben and Betty are nothing compared to Cassidy and Devin in Dino Thunder. Though, it's no secret that Tommy's return is a BIG REASON why I prefer Abaranger over Dino Thunder. Beast Morphers had some entertaining value such as trying to fit some blatant lessons of the week (who Hirohisa Soda did A LOT) though Evox being Venjix was TOO PREDICTABLE. That's why I'm glad that the Great Leader from the Showa era of Kamen Rider only returns in crossover movies and NOT in actual series up to now. It's good also that Ark-One (who's a Venjix-type foe) isn't the Messiah Virus or the Great Leader. I feel Evox should've been his own. Colonel Truman arriving at the finale just felt weird.

I feel Donbrothers might head in that direction too. Right now, I wonder if older Super Sentai alumni will guest star all the more in this show. Kiramager had the return of Miki Masaki. Ninninger had some guest stars from previous seasons (actors resuming their roles) or even the main titular hero Jiraiaya guest-star. I'm even wondering if Geki from Zyuranger or even Tyuyoshi from Goranger will guest star to lecture about the danger of Kibi Points. I still feel Gai Ikari from Gokaiger might appear in a future episode. If so, I might have something entertaining to bash. Maybe, I'll have fun bashing Donbrothers too. Meanwhile, I'd probably say Zoey and Haruka are praiseworthy heroines STUCK in a show that I just love to bash for a guilty pleasure. 

Why do I feel like bashing them and watching them? There's some entertainment value in it while I look for what I consider are weak spots. I felt Beast Morphers did something right but went down. I think Donbrothers also has that value when some new ideas may not easily click too. It's not like how Samurai and Megaforce were with really bad execution. Samurai has really wooden acting. Megaforce was even a FORCED performance. Beast Morphers tried to be more natural (even if the theme song just can't get rid of the "Go Go Power Rangers") which is a plus. I feel neither series is terrible. However, they're just not outstanding either. Ninninger though was nearly a complete chore (and I still HATE IT) though Ninja Steel has been WAY WORSE. That's why I can still watch them in order to bash them. Watching a new episode to bash it (for these shows) isn't a chore unlike how Samurai and Megaforce are both PAINFUL TO WATCH.

Comments