The Use Of Chinese Pinyin VS. Traditional Phonetics

Pinyin is used in every Chinese dialect. Though, the one I'm familiar with is Mandarin though I'm afraid that ethnic linguicide is affecting Cantonese, Hokkien, and other Chinese dialects. Mandarin is still used in Taiwan as the national language even though their shows would sprinkle the Taiwanese dialect in some instances. Although I'm having issues with China as a political entity - I still sympathize with the people who are but victims of the Chinese Communist Party. Taiwan or the Republic of CHINA still uses Chinese pinyin even if they have declared themselves independent from the People's Republic of China.

A lot of people are actually reading pinyin wrong. It's pretty much much how J and Que are misread by foreigners. A lot of people unfamiliar with the Chinese language misread it. So, what's the big point? If j in Tagalog is actually read as a softer h where Juan is read as Huan with a softer h - z is read as tsai or a softer chu. That means Ken Zhu (朱) is read as Ken Chu or that Vic Zhou is actually Vic Chou with the same Chinese character as Jay Chou spelled as 周. Vic Chou's nickname Zai Zai is read as Chai Chai or Tsai Tsai.

I was thinking about how I hated the use of traditional phonetics. Meanwhile, pinyin is easier to learn and a better bridge for people who want to learn Mandarin. I remembered I actually got interested in pinyin when Meteor Garden (2001) became the craze among Filipinos until the Korean invasion. A lot of Filipinos were misreading the pinyin because they never studied it. I remembered I actually told them that they were reading it wrong. Well, I admit I sucked hard in the all-memorization Chinese classes. However, it doesn't mean I can't self-study and I think Chinese schools need to abolish learning traditional phonetics in favor of pinyin. It should probably be a rule that Filipino-Chinese schools need to adopt pinyin over the traditional phonetics as a more effective bridge. I mean, these schools are accepting DIFFERENT kinds of students in the Philippines so why stick to old traditional phonetics?

For one, Mandarin speakers are learning English and English speakers are learning Mandarin. Pinyin would at least provide a much better bridge. At least, those wanting to learn Mandarin won't have to study with the Chinese phonetic characters.

Comments