The 90s to the Early 2000s Local Philippine Television Were A LOT MORE Kiddie Show Overloaded

I could remembered some time in my life, when there was a time that the Philippine television were kiddie show overloaded, that toy stores sold too many toys than usual. So I would like to think of how Fridays were also wasted because of too many kiddie shows. So here's how it went:

ABS-CBN on Friday evenings had a short marathon. For example if we had Ninja Turtles on 7:00, we had X-Men. Later they were replaced by Batman and Power Rangers.

Studio 23 came to existence as part of ABS-CBN and MORE cartoons for Saturdays and Sundays. Well there was Highlander. Nighthood, Men in Black to name a few.

GMA-7 later created the Anime nation which was a serious study hazard. Since they were old Anime, I guess they were aimed for College students then. :-P There were also the Yuu Yuu Hakusho and Flame of Recca nights. Voltes V and later Combattler V during Friday evenings along with Daimos. Lupin was also added.

ABC-5 was my favorite channel back then because of the Saturday to Sunday marathon and the daily cartoon marathon. Sundays, it was 3:00 P.M. to 7:00 P.M. when I was much younger. What was worse was that short running episodes kept airing even if the final episode was over. Take "Wizard of Oz" for example- when it reached the 13th, it aired back to the first for a couple of years. Then it was canceled when it got boring. During the weekdays, there were the 4:30 cartoons which I wasn't able to watch except during summer vacation. During Saturday, well I forgot the others.

IBC-13 had a lot of Japanese shows like Voltes V, Bioman, Jetman, Fiveman, Turboranger, Maskman, Kamen Rider Black, Machine Man and Shaider. Sadly, they never finished airing. Only ABC-5 finished the airing of Jetman and Fiveman.

Honestly speaking, most of the cartoons I've watched were NONSENSE and now I'm forced to endure wearing glasses whenever I need to read afar. IMO the cartoons like Tom and Jerry or Tazmania encourage more violence than Tokusatsu. In Tokusatsu, the consequences of trying to imitate what one sees on TV are seen or implied many times. Despite fiction, it's far more realistic.

However the trend has changed. In fact the soap opera craze took over. Why? Well, I haven't seen children enjoy much of watching shows like Meteor Garden or My MVP Valentine. Also, the creation of more local drama was probably a countermeasure to keep children away from TV during the weekdays. But for those with cable, parents can have the problem with other channels though.

Comments